Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
New idea behind doe pee (must read!!) >

New idea behind doe pee (must read!!)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New idea behind doe pee (must read!!)

Old 07-25-2012, 01:47 PM
Spike

Default New idea behind doe pee (must read!!)

I've been looking up some stuff on deer pee. I got curious one night on which brand was "the best". Dug up some interesting stuff. These mass produced urines sit on the shelf in a store for a long time before they are purchased. They start to break down, turning rancid and becoming blackish in color. Alcohol or some other type of preservative is added to try and keep the urine fresh. The urine is spoiling on the shelf and will not fool a mature, rutting Whitetail. But the ad says "Collected from a single doe during the peak of the rut." This leads the buyer to believe that this urine is fresh and full of pheromones - not so. Can you imagine how many does would have to be available for collection during the 24 hour peak of estrous? This is simply not possible.

What are pheromones? Pheromones are a live product that is secreted from the doe, which signal to the buck that she is ready to be bred at the time of ovulation. The buck can detect pheromones when he does a flaming curl. A flaming curl forces the air that the buck inhales into smaller passages in his naval cavity, an area where the live pheromones can be detected by the buck. When a buck smells live pheromones, he will do whatever he can to get near the doe in estrous.

When a buck is looking for a doe in estrous, he is first looking for a good amount of doe urine. Does do urinate a lot more when in estrous. Once the buck finds a doe urinating frequently, he goes to the spot of heavy urination, puts his nose into the puddle and inhales deeply. Then, doing a flaming curl, he is able to determine if the doe is ready to stand for breeding. If you are using a 1.5 ounce bottle of old, rancid urine you are fooling no one. The urine is not fresh and you are not using enough to simulate a doe in estrous.

You see when you walk past a pizza shop, what do you smell? Pizza. What does a deer smell? He smells tomatoes, peperoni, the seasoning on the peperoni, cheese, the flour used in the dough, etc. You get my point. We as hunters all know this. But deer have about 296 million receptors in their nose. As opposed to a dog with 220 million and humans with 5-6 million. So when you put that little bottle of doe pee on a scrape this fall. What do you think a buck is gonna smell? He's gonna smell the little drop of 100% doe pee yes, but he's gonna also smell the preservatives added as well.

There's been a few people looking into this problem and there's been some advances that might actually just work. The biggest I could find was deer farmers collecting the pee and immediately freeze it. This stops the break down of the pee and the reproduction of bacteria in the pee. Which causes it to smell like ammonia and extremely unnatural. Which when a deer smells something unnatural we all know they avoid that area or book it in the other direction.

I just thought I'd bring this info up to you guys. Way I figure it, deer hunting is a sport of odds. The more you're in the woods the better odds you have. The better prepared you are for your hunt and the more you actually know about deer from a biological stand point you increase your odds even more.

Best of Luck

Last edited by MIZ_hunter7; 07-25-2012 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-25-2012, 03:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Best doe pee I have ever used is .... well, doe pee. Collect it from does I kill. Use it to make drag wrag to help cover my trail and/or pour in an active scrape. Keep the "extra" frozen until needed. May or may not be worth the effort. But sure is the real thing ... no doubt about it. Commercial stuff .... I don't use any of it.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:49 PM
Typical Buck

I have always wondered whether deer were just stopping to smell this strong scent they come across instead of being aroused by it. Btw, good idea on getting the pee from does you take. Shooting a doe in the peak of the rut is a gamble though. You always know a buck may be coming right behind her...