Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Midwest Drought

Old 07-17-2012, 08:51 AM
Spike

Default Midwest Drought

Does anyone have an idea what effect this drought is going to have on deer this fall? I hunt hardwood deer in southern MO which has hardly any crop land.
Old 07-17-2012, 09:47 AM
Fork Horn

I am in central Illinois (near Champaign) and our corn crop is terrible! Some farmers I know are talking less then 100 bushel corn which is not good. The beans still have a chance but they need some rain soon.

If the nutrition isn't good then the deer might have trouble putting on weight for the winter and antler development will also be affected.

I think it will all depend on where you are and what the primary diet of your herd is. If it hasn't rained and you hunt hard woods you could be in trouble if the acorns aren’t falling.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:30 AM
Fork Horn

the deer r are going to be very stressed out but there is plenty of food for them in southern wi
Old 07-18-2012, 06:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm no expert but I think they would be leaner with less fat reserves and muscle developement.The possible up side is that they will need to move more to find food in some areas,thus giving us a better chance to seem them up and about more. If we have a hard winter the weak and sickly will surely not survive without help from us.The last time it was hot and food was low here I tried to povide a variety of food for the deer in my hunting area,it seemed to help some.
Old 07-18-2012, 07:27 AM
Typical Buck

plenty of food out there
would be more concerned in watching water sources,
while crops are tasty and nutritious, they can find lots of food sources,
water on the other hand, lack of water will make them move,
water sources will vary by location, if you happen to be near a spring fed source may see increase in deer activity as they congregate to fewer sources.
Old 07-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Super Moderator

Very good point Terasec. Deer are not stupid and are not going to starve and die. They are going to find something else to eat. Maybe not as fattening as the corn or soy beans, but they will eat. If there is no water though, they will move to where they find it.
Old 07-20-2012, 06:09 AM
Fork Horn

From southern Illinois and I'm just glad I have acorns! Our crops look terrible!
Old 07-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Typical Buck

Deer are survivors! It takes more than drought to harm the population. We are lucky here in N/W WI, we have had enough rain to keep things green. I have hunted many years when it was drier than a popcorn fart, we still had plenty of deer, they just adapt to whats available and eat more in the woods. I have seen deer drink from my stock tanks out in the field. Deer and elk will do this out west as well as the prong horn.
Old 07-21-2012, 05:54 PM
Fork Horn

I think its a good year to hunt water if you have it on your property. all through the us thia year .
Old 07-21-2012, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Contrary to what you guys are saying, deer do not need water to survive as they get most of their moisture from the food they eat. Elk and antelope, because of their different digestive systems, have to go to water on pretty much a daily basis. Deer will, however, go to water if it's available.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.