Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Tips for starting a hunting/outdoors show? >

Tips for starting a hunting/outdoors show?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tips for starting a hunting/outdoors show?

Old 07-04-2012, 01:23 AM
Spike

Default Tips for starting a hunting/outdoors show?

Hi, im not sure if im posting this in the right section.. but i was thinking of starting my own hunting and fishing show and was wondering if anyone on here could point me in the right direction of how i would do this? what equipment i would need, how to edit the show, how many people i would need to help, etc.

Just shows for youtube.. not expecting to make money off this or sponsors to throw money at me or be on tv. Just try and make a quality show and enjoy doing it and see where it goes from there. Any help or tips would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited by DaleSeniorFan3; 07-04-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 07-04-2012, 04:36 PM
Spike

Hello DSF3, I don't run a show but have been filming my hunts for a little while now and will do my best to help you out.

First things first, just like me and the videos I've been working on over the years, they have to be top notch work to even be looked at by any network or sponsors just because of the extreme large amount of hunters looking at getting into the industry. I am nowhere near happy enough with my work yet to even think about it, and I've been doing it for a while now.

As far as editing goes, I use Adobe Premier Pro CS4 and am learning it all on my own and sure wish I would have taken the time to take some actual editing classes as it would have really shortened my learning time a lot! Instead of starting off with high end software though you may want to start off learning something like Pennicle as it is a lot easier to learn then most of the others, and is a lot cheaper. Once you get the idea of what you're doing however you will want to switch over to something that gives you more control over your editing.

As far as cameras go, there are a ton of them out there so it really depends on what you're trying to get done. Try to find a camera that has higher optical zoom and don't worry at all about the digital zoom. Optical zoom is what will give you a clearer picture out at longer ranges. Digital zoom will get you a lot further out there, but less quality.
Also since tapes are almost a thing of the past, you may want to look for a decent camera that has a hard drive, and you may as well want to try for one that is HD since that's the way everyone is going these days. If you'd like to start off at the lower but still very decent end of things to test the waters so to speak, you can always look at the canon GL2 cameras. They are a taped unit and not HD, but you will find a ton of videos out there these days that are still being filmed with less than these.

As far as the number of people you'll need. Well, I do it alone or with one other friend of mine and thats about it. Ideally you're better off having one shooter and one person filming though as it makes life a LOT easier!

Other than that, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck on your filming!
Old 07-07-2012, 06:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

That's quite an endeavor you're contemplating and I hope everything works out and your dream comes true!
Old 07-09-2012, 08:26 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by outdoortrader.net
Hello DSF3, I don't run a show but have been filming my hunts for a little while now and will do my best to help you out.

First things first, just like me and the videos I've been working on over the years, they have to be top notch work to even be looked at by any network or sponsors just because of the extreme large amount of hunters looking at getting into the industry. I am nowhere near happy enough with my work yet to even think about it, and I've been doing it for a while now.

As far as editing goes, I use Adobe Premier Pro CS4 and am learning it all on my own and sure wish I would have taken the time to take some actual editing classes as it would have really shortened my learning time a lot! Instead of starting off with high end software though you may want to start off learning something like Pennicle as it is a lot easier to learn then most of the others, and is a lot cheaper. Once you get the idea of what you're doing however you will want to switch over to something that gives you more control over your editing.

As far as cameras go, there are a ton of them out there so it really depends on what you're trying to get done. Try to find a camera that has higher optical zoom and don't worry at all about the digital zoom. Optical zoom is what will give you a clearer picture out at longer ranges. Digital zoom will get you a lot further out there, but less quality.
Also since tapes are almost a thing of the past, you may want to look for a decent camera that has a hard drive, and you may as well want to try for one that is HD since that's the way everyone is going these days. If you'd like to start off at the lower but still very decent end of things to test the waters so to speak, you can always look at the canon GL2 cameras. They are a taped unit and not HD, but you will find a ton of videos out there these days that are still being filmed with less than these.

As far as the number of people you'll need. Well, I do it alone or with one other friend of mine and thats about it. Ideally you're better off having one shooter and one person filming though as it makes life a LOT easier!

Other than that, I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Good luck on your filming!
do you recommend any cameras that film good in low light?
Old 07-09-2012, 09:33 AM
Fork Horn

A hot women holding a bow would be my suggestion....
Old 07-09-2012, 10:05 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Sniggle
A hot women holding a bow would be my suggestion....
"and now its time for our naked women archery tips segment"