Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Remmington model 1100 a good slug gun? >

Remmington model 1100 a good slug gun?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Remmington model 1100 a good slug gun?

Old 06-24-2012, 10:42 AM
Spike

Default Remmington model 1100 a good slug gun?

Is a model 1100 a good slug gun its a smooth bore barrel i dont plan on taking anything past 30 or 40 yards because thats as far i can get and still have some type of cover so give me your opinions on this matter
Old 06-24-2012, 11:26 AM
Super Moderator

If you practice, that is a good range for that gun. You should be able to hit fairly well there. Practice is where it's at though. Then you can extend that range a bit.

-Jake
Old 06-24-2012, 11:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I currently use a Remmington Model 110 Magnum (when not using my rifle) and have had no problems with it at all. But, then again I can shoot 3 inch slugs if I prefer to. What I did notice though was if I shook the slugs and they rattled any they were no use to me. They should be tight with no rattling in order to get the best performance out of them. I hope that helps you. Or you could get a slug barrel with sights on it which will also help you out a lot.
Old 06-24-2012, 12:40 PM
Spike

Well i dont want to take that gun appart i was looking at some cheap slug guns anybody have one in mind im not to particular about them as long as its a slug gun
Old 06-24-2012, 02:17 PM
Giant Nontypical

I bought one new in 1976, still use it...It has a 21 inch Improved Cylinder barrel with rifle sights on it...Using the Remington Sluggers, it will shoot inside 3 inches at 75 yards, which is as good as I can see...

I've killed a ton of deer with it, it's a great gun...
Old 06-25-2012, 04:12 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I bought one new in 1976, still use it...It has a 21 inch Improved Cylinder barrel with rifle sights on it...Using the Remington Sluggers, it will shoot inside 3 inches at 75 yards, which is as good as I can see...

I've killed a ton of deer with it, it's a great gun...
Same here, the sluggers work great.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:34 AM
Spike

i have killed a crap-load of BIG bucks with a 12 guage slug gun
Old 06-25-2012, 01:04 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by whitetail hunter23
i have killed a crap-load of BIG bucks with a 12 guage slug gun

I have killed many a deer at over 100+ yds with a 1100, a slug barrel with a 2-4x scope would even do better.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Do you ever take the gun apart to clean it? If so them you have done more work than changing the barrel already. The 1100 just like any gun needs to be taken down from time to time for a good cleaning as well as an oiling. Anyways all you have to do is take the nut off the forearm and then the forearm. The barrel comes right out after the forearm is off from it.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Phil from Maine is making a very good point! What I think that he is driving at is in addition to "normal" dirtying up a hunting gun as the result of field use, the action of a gas operated autoloading long gun fouls pretty quickly. The fine powder residue in the gas builds up in the action + the heat of these gases can cause residues to build up resulting in poor cycling amd/or out right jamming and/or a damaged extractor.

To stay in tip-top cycling condition, after firing several rounds (and in my opinion before storage after a hunting season, regardless of how many rounds are fired) the action needs a good cleaning. This requires what might be described as a "semi-break down" of the fire arm so that you can get to the filth.

As for changing out the barrel ... on the Mod. 1100 ... takes ... what ... maybe 30 seconds ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.