Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting the Wind - Question

Old 07-07-2012, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Keep it up fellas, this is getting fun.
Old 07-07-2012, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Nope, I wouldn't give him the satisfaction of continuing this with all the BS he keeps posting like nobody else has ever been hunting but himself---total ahole!!!
Old 07-07-2012, 03:05 PM
Spike

A big, mature buck will immediately stop what he is doing and exit the location after he winds you. He can wind you at a half a mile in the right conditions. And after he winds you, he will flee between a (1) mile and (5) five miles depending on the terrain.

In 2009, I got winded--unanticiapted wind shift--by a mature 160" class buck with a very distinctive drop tine off his left side. I actually saw him leave his bed. Almost exactly one hour later, and exactly 5.25-miles away (calculated on Google Earth) that same buck was seen entering a 200-acre block of black oak.

Elk are even worse. One time I was winded by a 7x7 bull out in the high desert of Wyoming and I watched him go 9.6 miles (by the GPS) and was actually watching him in the spotting scope as he topped Powder Rim still at a fast trot.

Gunplummer wrote: "The only trick to killing a big deer is to be able to hunt where he beds." I wish it was that simple... Whitetails are not stupid in Kansas, no matter how much you want to believe that...

Gunplummer wrote, "There is no proof that a deer's sense of smell is their No.1 defense against hunters other than in magazines and on TV." Not true. I'm able to quote any number of scientific studies on this matter if you really need me to embarrass you.

The sense of smell is the whitetail deer's most important sensory input--and deer trust and rely on it more than any other.

Bronc

Last edited by Broncazonk; 07-07-2012 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2012, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Go ahead and embarrass the he** out of him, LOL!
Old 07-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Typical Buck

Go ahead, quote all the scientific nonsense you want. Your "absolute facts" are probably written by the same guys that wrote that deer are color blind. Be a while until I get back again (Busy) so you can build yourselves up in to a lather over this.
Old 07-09-2012, 06:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think you may just be the new #1 obnoxious Plick on this website!!! I hope your "a while until you get back" is never!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-09-2012 at 06:40 PM.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think Gunplummer is in the wrong forum on this sight.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/young-hunters-13/

I will say this was quite a comical forum to read. Deer not fearing human scent is probably one of the funniest things i've read in a while. Unless you are hunting urban deer where human scent is everywhere then you are hunting a new species of deer, one that somehow has a 20x decrease in smell capabilities.

If there was a mythical whitetail deer species like you say, I don't think they would last too long.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:24 AM
Typical Buck

Once again the people posting have not read my posts. I said a deer's sense of smell is highly overrated, not useless. None of you experts wants to comment on what to do when it is a windy day and the wind is constantly changing directions. I strongly suspect, by the comments, that most of you just stay home. If you don't stay home then tell us all just how you "hunt the wind" in such a situation.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

I doubt that many of us stay home just because of erratic winds. You're "overated" statement is still BS, but seeing as you're the self-proclaimed EXPERT on a deer's sense of smell and nobody else knows diddly squat, why don't YOU tell us and answer your own question!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 07-13-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:47 PM
Typical Buck

I already have. We work the gullies and low spots if we can. The wind will still get you sometimes, but the lack of noise in the low spots will attract deer there during fickle conditions. If I find an area that has wide open bowels clear of brush, I crawl the last couple feet to the top and slowly left my head to look down in. A lot of times I can catch one bedded behind a log. If they are scared into the thick brush you are just out of luck. The biggest problem on a bad windy day is not being picked out by a deer, it is that the deer won't move.