Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

hunting club

Old 05-23-2012, 04:09 PM
Spike

Default hunting club

looking to start a nice hunting club here in south central ky..if anyone is interested..please share your thoughts and ideas and opinions..hope to hear from people soon
Old 05-28-2012, 05:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well - Not sure what you are asking for, but I'll take a shot.

For sure the "club" should to be made up of a membership that you think will get a long well. safety must come first. Set up all expectations early on and in writing ... such as a "Club By-Laws and /or Club Regulations" that the group is fully aware of, agrees to abide by and will support. And stick to these 100%.

If you are going to be doing the "work" yourselves, such as food plot planting, establishing/maintaing a camp, building common use hunting stands, etc. ... better have work expectations spelled out well in advance.

Be sure to secure enough good hunting territory so that reasonable safety margins can be maintained. I suggest no less than 80 acres per person.

Your club would be wise to purchase liability insurance.

I strongly suggest that you avoid the "Trophy Bucks Only" approach. Unless you have a really huge place (1000's acres) , ideal habitat, very few folks in the group, and have with like minded hunters surrounding you, this approach will be nearly impossible to accomplish on "free range" ... and I'd bet will become a sore spot down the road. Been there and done that.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:33 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've been in and around several clubs over the past 40 years and unless it was a small (3 or 4) member club I wouldn't touch it. The more members, the more problems.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:58 PM
Spike

thats all i think would be needed as long as all four guys were of the same mindset..me personally...im the type that loves to improve ground...and grow big deer...in my opinion..if a group could lease a large tract of property..get everything sighned sealed and delivered by a attorny..and also have insurance..they stand a pretty good chance of doing something awsome...i love growing big bucks..granted not every deer is a giant..but with the proper food..and the PROPER DOE MANAGEMENT....respectable deer can be there if the work is put in..
Old 06-06-2012, 04:54 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by timbercruiser
I've been in and around several clubs over the past 40 years and unless it was a small (3 or 4) member club I wouldn't touch it. The more members, the more problems.
+1, with big numbers comes the hassle of get approval of the other members, treestands must be to the clubs specs and where they tell you it can be.

One club in my area said you can't hunt on the ground during the first day and first saturday of the rifle season but not for saftey reasons, as i was told by a member. No thank you.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

If I were you I would think very seriously about not doing it. I decided that I would do this on my father in laws land. We had about six 180 acre tracts to hunt and built a small cabin. I was not there all the time to keep everyone in line. First year all was well but the second year all I did was answer e-mails from other members who were mad because something another guy did, deal with members trespassing on other land, stolen gear and people taking animals illegally to name a few. In the end I had a bunch of mad neighbors and an embarrased father in law.
Old 06-22-2012, 08:23 PM
Spike

If it's organized well enough you can have a club with a large number of people, it just has to start small and gradually grow. The club I'm a part of now has around 60 members and we have a really great system in place, granted we run dogs so general firearms is primarily hunting together. If you're looking to manage the wildlife, smaller numbers does make it easier but it isn't impossible with a bigger group. The more people you have, the more access you have to labor and capital, so you'll have to decide what the equilibrium is for what you want. Mojotex made a lot of great points, I would just add that if you are going to add other people into the equation you need to have a system to hold everyone accountable for their portion of the burden. If you get the right people involved, I see this being very rewarding.
Old 06-23-2012, 12:18 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by whitetail hunter23
thats all i think would be needed as long as all four guys were of the same mindset..me personally...im the type that loves to improve ground...and grow big deer...in my opinion..if a group could lease a large tract of property..get everything sighned sealed and delivered by a attorny..and also have insurance..they stand a pretty good chance of doing something awsome...i love growing big bucks..granted not every deer is a giant..but with the proper food..and the PROPER DOE MANAGEMENT....respectable deer can be there if the work is put in..
wth23 pm me , i live in hart county, and have a well managed place