Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
public land-out west IN the open >

public land-out west IN the open

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

public land-out west IN the open

Old 04-29-2012, 07:39 PM
Spike

Default public land-out west IN the open

I have never hunted open prairie land. I'd love to go out west of Michigan & do that before I'm to old to get around on my own.

For one reason, I'd love to chase some bigger deer than we normally see in Northern Michigan, but I also just want to see what it is like to chase deer in the vast lands out there.

The question is, is it possible to hunt deer on public land out there & see big deer WITHOUT having a paid guide?
Old 04-29-2012, 07:47 PM
Fork Horn

You will find those oppurtunities is several areas out west. Top three in my opinion, would be central Montana to eastern Mt., central Idaho to southern Idaho, and best of all Wyoming. Lots of public lands to hunt in these wide open areas. Enjoy the hunt.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:04 PM
Spike

Wyoming sounds like the ticket! It is atop the bucket list AS of this moment...
Old 05-08-2012, 06:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Its possible to hunt the wide open prairies "on private land" without a guide if you aren't afraid to ask.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have hunted mule deer on public land in eastern Montana a few times, unguided. I admit the first couple of times I hunted private land and had an acocmplished guide. Though I paid attention to my guide and learned a bunch, I struggled a bit early on because of not knowing much about spot and stalk techniques, or still learning mule deer habits. Also I seldom had a clear boundary marker to assure me I had not inadvertently gotten off the public land. A good GPS and good maps cured that issue. And I learned more about how to hunt this type of terrain and game as the experience accumulated. I have gone 3 seasons and put about 20 days (not much I know but) hoofing around it looking for mule deer ... and have been more lucky than good. In my opinion if you are an accomplished hunter, and the game is there ... might take a bit of getting used to the terrain ... but you'll do fine.
Old 05-16-2012, 07:05 PM
Spike

The short answer is heck yes.....Northern Idaho has some whoppers.......and easy to get over the counter tags.....
Old 05-16-2012, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by huntography
The short answer is heck yes.....Northern Idaho has some whoppers.......and easy to get over the counter tags.....
But, North Idaho does suffer from a severe shortage of prairie lands,
except for the occasional pasture.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by KT29
But, North Idaho does suffer from a severe shortage of prairie lands,
except for the occasional pasture.
This is true....overlooked that part.....