Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hang on stands--How To?

Old 08-29-2003, 12:55 PM
Typical Buck

Default Hang on stands--How To?

I' ve been hunting from home made stands and/or climbing stands for the short while I have been hunting. Well, this year I bought a few hang on stands. I' ve never actually put one up. I know how to actually hang it on the tree. I' m worried about getting up the tree to a good height and then hanging it. Is there a good and SAFE way to do this?

I' ve been scouting all year, and I have determined where I' m putting them. Please help me out. Thanks.

Jay
Old 08-29-2003, 01:31 PM

Default RE: Hang on stands--How To?

I have a few strap on stands that I usually hang for the season. I will, most all of the time, use a climbing stick. On each of my sticks, I always add grip tape to each step, both on top and front of each step. I simply t-a-k-e- my t-i-m-e, and am very careful. I typically don' t go much higher than 15' and most always try to use a pine, cedar or a group of hardwoods clustered together to break up my outline.
Old 08-29-2003, 01:41 PM

If you' re hanging stands you need a climbing belt. This way you have both hands free to do the work. Cabelas has a couple different kinds. I picked one up at a deer show a few years back and I wouldn' t try to hang a stand without one.

>>>---DAVIDP---SILERCITY,NC--->
Old 08-29-2003, 02:51 PM
Typical Buck

You MUST have a belt, though I just use a cheap safety belt. When your putting in your steps, be sure to go up the opposite side, or at least to the side of the tree where you plan to hang your stand. Nothing like trying to hang a stand above your head, then realizing you can' t even get in it. Never hurts to have someone there to help you too.
Old 08-29-2003, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Climbing sticks are the way to go. I used to use screw in or strap on steps and by the time I got up to where I wanted to hunt, I was worn out and sweating. Buy yourself a seat of the pants harness. It is a safety harness that can also be used as a climbing/hanging belt as well. This will allow you to stand on your stick with both hands free. Don' t forget to put your stick 90 degrees to your stand so you can just step up onto your stand from the stick.
Old 08-29-2003, 07:27 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 08-29-2003, 11:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

When hanging stands preseason I bring my cordless drill with to drill a small quick hole for screwing in pegs. I think a climbing belt is really really handy!! I bought a Seat-of the Pants harness and it has a climbing belt built in.

Good Luck!
Old 08-30-2003, 11:10 AM

Promise that you will not attempt to hang a stand without using a safety belt. It will keep ya from killing yourself.
Old 09-02-2003, 07:22 AM
Typical Buck

Promise!!!!

I was going to hang my stands this past weekend, but it rained all weekend[:@]

I elected to go the safe route and wait for dry weather.
Old 09-02-2003, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

The best way is probably a climbing belt. If you don' t have one, you can do what I do on some of my easy to get to stand sites. I take a 14" section of an aluminum extension ladder with me. I lean it on the tree, and strap it on with a ratchet strap so it is secure. Then I can actually hang my stands while standing on the ladder. Makes it very easy, and is safe. The only drawback is you are limited to how high you can hang it, depending on what size ladder you are using. Just a suggestion.

Quick Reply: Hang on stands--How To?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.