Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hard To Forget

Old 04-10-2012, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Red face Hard To Forget

While doing some Turkey scouting this weekend I went to the area where I shot my biggest Buck so far this past 2011 season and got that sick feeling again I had in November of last year. Some of you might remember I shot him and could not find him after looking for him for 2 days.
Every once in a while I'll find myself reliving that moment and will be unable to get to sleep for quite a while. Going to the scene of the crime makes it very much alive in my mind again. I think I'm over it and some good may come out of it because I'm much more determined to make a better shot next time.
Anyone else find it hard to forget about the one that you lost after doing your best to avoid such an ending? If yes,I think I feel your pain just as you can feel mine. I hope it never happens again but I know it can no matter how hard you try to avoid it.
Old 04-10-2012, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

There are a couple of spots where I hunt that bring back similar memories. Hind site is 20/20, just have to do your best to learn from those bad experiences and hope they dont happen again.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:15 PM
Spike

It's a good thing it still bothers you , It shows you care about the animal you are hunting,and it will be less apt to happen again.
Old 04-11-2012, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I lost a very nice Buck about 5 years ago,I still get angry with myself for not waiting longer to track the Deer,it would have laid down and I would have recovered it if not for my mistake.Now I make sure I wait if I can't actually see the Deer I shoot lay down and I give it plenty time if the Deer runs out of view...I've learned more patients and to practice a lot more with the Rifle I plan on Hunting with.I vowed to never make the same mistake twice...the toughest thing about the Hunt was I was trying to get a nice Buck in Memory of my older Brother that passed away earlier that same year,I ended up getting a nice Deer the following year and it eased the pain and brought back fond Memories of my Brother and I know he would be proud of me!
Old 04-12-2012, 04:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Not waiting longer cost me this Buck as well,I was over confident that my shot had done him in GTO Hunter. Not getting yours in memory of your Brother I'm sure hurt much worse than me not getting mine and having my pride hurt. Glad you got a good one the following year.
Old 04-13-2012, 09:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would wager that about all of us that come to this forum recall the "misses" and "not founds" in a lot more detail that the hunts that work out well. I know I do.

Killing a deer (or any game) ... I do not take lightly. So leaving one hit hard, that will suffer before it dies really gets to me. That 's why I have worked hard for 50 +/- years to be a good marksman and try my best to take only the "sure shot". And my hunting buddies would attest that I do not give up on tracking a wounded deer until I am either exhausted or am 100% sure I am not going to be able to find it. (And a big AMEN for my tracking dog !! ) Wish I could claim that I have never messed up a shot ... but certainly would be lying if I said so.