Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Update on the 357 magnum for deer. >

Update on the 357 magnum for deer.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Update on the 357 magnum for deer.

Old 03-25-2012, 02:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why don't you tell us all how or why you know so much about poaching to make all these comments you consider facts! I'm waiting, but not holding my breath.
Why dont you try doing a little homework on the subject instead of just running your mouth and insinuating people are law breakers for bringing the subject up?Poaching happens everyday, its a fact of life and it happens in every state, my estimate was probably actually low on the number of deer poached each year.When you can discuss the subject without acting like a 6 year old let me know and we can talk.
Old 04-03-2012, 12:35 PM
Giant Nontypical

You're a real pip! I just got back from a 10 day trip and I see your retort still had no facts! Maybe that's because there is no way to have actual numbers on poaching and everything is just a bunch of educated guesses similar to what you keep posting. Sorry you seem to think I'm insinuating you're a poacher! Let's just call you a well educated guesser and call it quits, LOL!
Old 04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Typical Buck

It's time for you to do your own research. The number one rifle of choice for poachers has been the .22 LR for decades now. It's such a terrible round that people kill effectively with it every day of every year.

Being effective does not equate being ethical. Something you seem to fail to understand.

An article on a recent poaching bust not far from me. Look at the type of confiscated rifle...
Old 04-04-2012, 05:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't need to do any research to know that a 22 is used frequently because of the low noise report when spotlighting deer that feeze close enough to shoot them in the head. That fact has been around as long as the 22 has been in existence! All I'm saying is that nobody has any figures because poaching is illegal and I know of no poll of poachers that has ever taken place and been publicized! Here is the whole debate in one sentence and one that I certainly agree with from the preceeding post by Sfury: "Being effective does not equate being ethical." Your followup sentence is certainly incorrect though because my whole stance on this issue is that the 22 can kill at a reasonable distance with a shot to the head, but it certainly isn't ethical whether it's used illegally by a poacher or by some legal numbnutz who is out squirrel hunting where they are legal and takes a wack at a deer that happens to pop up!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

If you know that a .22 can kill a deer, then why did you make the statement:
Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Yep; if the barrel is stuck in it's eye or ear, LOL!
That is the quote, your quote, that got the ball rolling.

Are you saying that you made a false statement now? The comments that I, and others made, were based off of that incredibly stupid and completely wrong statement.

Let's face it, dead is dead. Using the "best" round or not, the animal still died. That is what counts in the end irregardless of anything else.

Ethics involve being as humane as possible. That's why people often promote using a certain round for certain game. It eliminates the need for being as deadly accurate.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

"Are you saying that you made a false statement now? The comments that I, and others made, were based off of that incredibly stupid and completely wrong statement."

I responded way back in post #28 that I was just being facetious with that statement and that the 22 could take a deer at some distance if shot in the head, but I guess you missed that and the rest of that post if you still have your panties in a wad over it, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-04-2012 at 05:36 PM.