Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Mulies/whitetails in same area >

Mulies/whitetails in same area

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mulies/whitetails in same area

Old 03-05-2012, 07:02 PM
Spike

Default Mulies/whitetails in same area

I just moved to a new farm on the edge of the sandhills in NE. We have so many whitetails running through my yard its not even funny anymore. My son came to visit and saw 4 mulies on the edge of the driveway. Ive never seen one in my life so this is pretty exciting to have both. Is it common to have both mulies and whitetails living in the same area? I cant wait to get trail cams up to see the mulies.
Old 03-06-2012, 03:33 AM
Typical Buck

That depends on where you live. Some places have both. Enjoy the fact you have both. More hunting opportunities!
Old 03-06-2012, 05:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are more and more areas out west where whitetails are encroaching on the mulie's habitat and most people don't like it. Whitetails are the more dominant species and can push mulies right out of their living area. A whitetail buck will also breed a mule deer doe and you then have a hybrid cross. Here's a picture of a hybrid buck that has the body color, ears, and tail of a whitetail, but a screwed up mule deer type rack. Sorry the picture isn't the best, but there was very little light left the evening we saw him to get pictures.This was where we hunt on the west side of the BigHorn Mountains in northcentral Wyoming. The whitetails are taking over down through the lower river drainages and agricultural areas out there. So far they aren't moving up to the higher areas where there are still just mulies.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:45 AM
Spike

Good to know. I see we have a lot of turkeys running around too, so hunting is going to be a lot of fun this year.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:57 AM
Fork Horn

Yeah, you live in a good area, I always head to western Nebraska so we can hunt Mule deer as well. Shot a cross doe last year, enjoy the hunting season.
Old 03-06-2012, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

Common to see both in eastern Colorado. Sometimes not all that far apart
Old 03-06-2012, 07:38 PM
Fork Horn

I hunt in the Nebraska Sandhills and see the two regularly. The above info is correct. A whitetail buck will run off mule deer bucks to breed the does. The big 4x4 I posted in the success thread was actually chasin two mule does when I took him.

Now with the particular property I hunt, there is a river running through it. The whitetails tend to stay near the river and the timber. If you want a mulie, we go over the hills and spot and stalk. It's nice to have the ability to take either species.

Check your unit regs and tags though. I always buy ATLEAST one statewide buck tag because I hunt so many units over the three major seasons and your only allowed 2 bucks per year (firearm, archery, muzzleloader) and the statewide is season choice so if I don't get an archery deer I don't burn a tag. Only problem with that is I also have to buy a unit tag because you can't tag a mulie on a statewide tag. (it's whitetail only). Also, there are mule deer management areas where they are not allowed to be taken. So just heck your regs.

Rule on the 11,000 acres we hunt is atleast out PAST the ears, and ATLEAST 4 points per side. They are too easy to hunt as they always turn to look at you after a 100 yards of running. If you kill all the dumb young bucks, you'll never get the big 30 inchers.......
Old 03-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

I see it a lot here in Idaho. Sounds like you'll have a lot of fun hunting to do this coming year!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

One spot I hunt here in Montana has both feeding in the same hay field. When it comes time to bed down, the whitetails head to the river bottom and the mulies head up into the hills.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:08 AM
Fork Horn

When I was in college in Casper, WY, I rented a small place just outside town (18 acres on the banks of the Platte) and had both regularly. Of the two, I much prefered the wt for table fare.