Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Trying to get deer to my feeder during the day >

Trying to get deer to my feeder during the day

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Trying to get deer to my feeder during the day

Old 03-04-2012, 06:11 PM
Spike

Default Trying to get deer to my feeder during the day

Right now im getting great pictures of deers right now but the only problem is at they only show up between 12am and 5am how can i get them to show up at 6 or 7 am
Old 03-05-2012, 03:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default A Brillant Observation

We find a new technology to take pictures of deer, 24/7, and we find a new difficulty in scheduling deer for their picture taking.
Old 03-05-2012, 05:20 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

The deer are in a nocturnal cycle. This is due to pressure from hunters, predators, or even you walking in the area. So the answer might be for you to stay out of the area. Also, having the feeder on the edge of their range rather than within it would help. If possible, a food plot that you could leave alone for weeks at a time would serve you better.

I also have a theory that as deer are hunted over bait, the deer that are not harvested tend to be more nocturnal. We may be unintentionally creating a new strain of deer that is, by nature, nocturnal. Perhaps these are deer with better night vision that adapt better to feeding at night. Just a theory, mind you, but it seems to make sense.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:09 AM
Fork Horn

If they are hunted much,might be easier to get a cat to lick mustard.
Old 03-07-2012, 06:03 AM
Typical Buck

I find that leaving a note on the feeder telling them to come back between 6 am and 7 am works most of the time but not always.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:38 PM
Typical Buck

Deer are nocturnal animals and naturally move and feed at night. They move very little in daylight. Especially older deer. The 1st part of the equation would be moving close to where the deer are bedding on your property. They are in or around there bedding areas during daylight so the closer you are, the more daylight movment you will see... The next part or you eqution is human scent. Deer are afraid of human scent and there is nothing you can do to eliminate your scent. They will smell that you have checked your camera or added bait for days after you have been there. Therefore they will become more nocturnal around the areas where your scent / bait / camera is...
Old 03-07-2012, 03:36 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by coyote61hunter
Right now im getting great pictures of deers right now but the only problem is at they only show up between 12am and 5am .....
Are you using a gravity or a timed feeder?
Old 04-06-2012, 10:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by RaySendero
Are you using a gravity or a timed feeder?
wow its been a while sence ive checked this its a timed feeder
Old 04-06-2012, 12:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by coyote61hunter
wow its been a while sence ive checked this its a timed feeder
I can understand that with some of the answers given...

Frankly, some deer don't come into feeders during the day, could be several reasons for it but I've seen it happen...Sometimes deer will get use to a feeder going off and come in during daylight hours but sometimes they don't...

Before hanging a feeder, spread corn in the area with a seeder, put up a camera and moniter deer activity...This doesn't scare deer as much as a feeder going off can...

As mentioned, it could simply be that the feeder isn't on their regular daylight route that they use...
Old 04-06-2012, 03:20 PM
Spike

my personal opinion...get rid of trail cameras....trail cameras are useless unless you want to track does in your area,which does are simple to find there beds,and hunt them offf that,does are easy to kill..its the 160's that once theres a snap of the picture and flash there gone...there is techniques to manage your landdd to kill big deer,and its not pickin a tree and hopin he walks that trail, bucks are 2/3 of the way up the hill travelers...i no sounds like blowin a lot of smoke,but I got lots of ways to kill them...but for a start get rid of the trail cameras....feeders are good,but where i Live cant hunt over them..butt set them up in travel areas,for instance where deer tend to cross fields or from treeline to treeline where you notice them put it...I have seen feeders at my ranch where im in the 175 foot tower we got on edge of are property to not spook deer and monitor game,i have seen them get on there back legs and kick the feeder with there front trying to get feed out(its gravity filled feeders,so squirrels dont pester em as much)....but thats where id start,get rid of cameras,and do more scoutin yourself..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.