Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Missouri

Old 02-29-2012, 09:30 PM
Spike

Default Missouri

I was wondering if anyone could help me out with a little information on Missouri. My cousin and I are heading out bowhunting there this year and neither of us have ever stepped foot in Missouri. I have been looking up quite a bit of information on hunting public land there. I am looking in the Northern region of the state, more towards the golden triangle and was wondering if the archery only areas tend to get a lot of pressure seems how they are indeed archery only? Also if anybody knows of any other areas to start looking? Any information is helpful.
Thanks, Marc.
Old 03-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

It would be a lot better to Hunt in an Archery Only Area simply because it will have less pressure and I think You'll have better luck in an Area like that, some Public Areas even plant food plots so You'll have something to draw the Deer in.Be sure to check out if the Public Land Is Doe or Buck Only or both!

You can also hunt the Firearm Area's I just wouldn't try it too close to the Rifle Season Opener....which is suppose to be on Nov 10 2012 this year.

Another thing You need to consider is most Mark Twain Conservation Land is set up for You to park and walk in which can and would be a pretty good distance,no screw-in steps allowed and any climbers, hang-on stands or ladder stands need to have your name and phone number on it I believe?

The key to hunting any Public Land is to go in deep where most Hunters are too lazy to go or drag a Deer out of.Hunt smart and try to stay scent-free.We usually dress light and carry our other layers of clothes in a back pack and finish dressing after cooling down and getting set up at our stand location.

Last edited by GTOHunter; 03-03-2012 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:33 PM
Spike

Thank you. I will look into the Archery only area's. Do you know if the area's right along the Mississippi were destroyed due to flooding?
Old 03-15-2012, 03:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

Most are fine and back to normal,lots of big hills and hollers up from the River so they weren't harmed only thing that might make it hard to access the land is the low lying roads around the CA and Mark Twain Forest.Another Thing to watch is some area's may be Doe or Buck only.I'm in Southeast Missouri and only about 13 miles from the Mississippi River so I could keep You update on any changes if we get any more flooding here!
Old 03-15-2012, 05:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Marc--MO has had a point limit in the northern 3/4 of the state, a deer must have at least 4 points on one side to be legal during the gun or archery season. You may want to carry some glass so you can count points from a distance. They are trying to increase the number of larger racks and to incourage hunters to shoot does.

Northeast MO has something like 30+ deer per square mile, southeast MO has something like 25 or so. Northern MO has more upland field crops so the deer are larger then in the ozarks generally. There was a case of CWD in northeast MO a year or two ago.

MO has some great deer hunting and the folks are generally friendly. Good luck.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Scouting is an individual effort

I find that 98% comes from the one going hunting. You can get some good general information, at times, but every sq. mile is different and no one has experience on every sq. mile. Plus no one will give their favorite sq. mile or hunting stand. They're too hard to find to give up easily.

If scouting was easy, it'd be easy.

Fortunately, we have internet maps, today. If you learn to use them. There are areas where even locals won't use or hike. Not all hunters are the same. I plan to spend time studying maps, late winter/springtime.

Good luck.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:31 PM
Spike

It would be a lot better to Hunt in an Archery Only Area simply because it will have less pressure and I think You'll have better luck in an Area like that, some Public Areas even plant food plots so You'll have something to draw the Deer in.
Old 03-17-2012, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

As stated Northern MO. Will have the AR's (Antler Restrictions),they brought them as far south as St. Genevieve County (Adjoining County) a few years ago and never added any more since then....We do our own self imposed AR's just for the fact that it does help in getting nicer bigger Deer/Bucks when You keep letting the smaller ones walk and mature into nicer Deer!