Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Sunday Hunting in VA

Old 01-19-2012, 03:52 PM
  #1  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
vapahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midlo, Va
Posts: 556
Default Sunday Hunting in VA

The one committee in the Virginia legislature that historically tables all sunday hunting bill passed all Sunday Hunting Ban removal bills in a package deal on a vote of 11-4. It now has to pass the State Senate and the State House. To all of you who helped in this effort THANK YOU but the war is still on. Battle one is over with a win for all Va hunters. 3 more key votes to go to get this blue law ban removed. Help us finish off the nay sayers and the doggers on this issue.
vapahunter is offline  
Old 01-19-2012, 07:08 PM
  #2  
Giant Nontypical
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Allegan, MI
Posts: 8,019
Default

THat's great and I hope you all are hunting on Sunday this coming Fall or maybe even this SDpring for a turkey depending on how fast things move in your state!
Topgun 3006 is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 06:47 AM
  #3  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Default Disagree...

I live in VA and am obviously an avid hunter, however, I hope they don't lift the Sunday hunting ban.

-I think that it gives the deer a rest and they are not as spooked on the following Monday (for those of us who also hunt during the week and not just weekends).
-Lots of movement and hunting with dogs on the weekends really gets the deer wary for those of us who stand hunt, and the 1 day reprieve allows me to see more deer
-I am religious. I make no excuses for that. Sundays are when I head to church in the morning, spend some time with the family. The knowledge that I couldn't be hunting anyway doesn't allow my mind to wander.

That is me personally. About the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing it go through is that it would be a blow to the anti's.

Deluxe
deluxejunk is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 07:31 AM
  #4  
Typical Buck
 
Stonewall308's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 590
Default

DeluxeJunk,

First, I would say that you are not "obviously" an avid hunter, as you apparently just signed up to this forum to make your post.

Second, your opinion that the deer are less wary because hunting is banned for 1/7th of the week is completely unevidenced, contrary to common sense, and contrary to my personal experience in VA as compared to other states I have hunted without a sunday ban.

Third, no one is asking you to make apologies for your religion. I am asking you not to use your religious beliefs as an excuse to limit what I do with my weekend on my own private land.

Fourth, hunters should not try to limit each other in ways that provide no benefit to the sport. This is divisive and corrosive. Bag limits, etc. are necessary to conserve the resource. A ban on Sunday hunting, by contrast, provides no discernible benefit.

Fifth, limiting hunting opportunities limits the spread of the sport. Like many people, I work five days a week and sometimes have other obligations on Saturdays. Banning Sunday hunting just makes it harder for me to introduce friends and eventually my children to the sport. Most hunters fear that our passion is becoming a relic of the past. When fewer people have been introduced to hunting, fewer people will appreciate hunting, thereby opening the door to more bans, more hostility, and more liberal intolerance. You reap what you sow, and I would think long and hard before supporting unnecessary restrictions.
Stonewall308 is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 08:30 AM
  #5  
Typical Buck
 
turkey harvester's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Southeast Missouri
Posts: 647
Default

I'm sure glad we don't have to put up with that crap In Mo. Don't know if i could abide by that law. My weekends are my weekends, don't need no state law to tell me how and when I can hunt. If its season its season, let them hunt.
turkey harvester is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 10:23 AM
  #6  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
vapahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midlo, Va
Posts: 556
Default

Originally Posted by deluxejunk View Post
I live in VA and am obviously an avid hunter, however, I hope they don't lift the Sunday hunting ban.

-I think that it gives the deer a rest and they are not as spooked on the following Monday (for those of us who also hunt during the week and not just weekends).
-Lots of movement and hunting with dogs on the weekends really gets the deer wary for those of us who stand hunt, and the 1 day reprieve allows me to see more deer
-I am religious. I make no excuses for that. Sundays are when I head to church in the morning, spend some time with the family. The knowledge that I couldn't be hunting anyway doesn't allow my mind to wander.

That is me personally. About the only reason I wouldn't mind seeing it go through is that it would be a blow to the anti's.

Deluxe
As has been discovered your reason for having dogs running all weekend is a mute point. The VaHDA, a fully dog hunting organization, slipped in a rider at the last minute that says that dogs can nor be used to hunt Sundays. Next item on their agenda is to limit it to only bow hunters so it matches their rant against removing the ban. This group will do anything and everything to keep the ban on. Yet they say they are for expanding hunting opportunities for every one.

All who disagree with them should go to www.http://vahda.org/ and let them know. There is a contact point on their website to use for this. Also they are on a site called www.speeddogs.net/ calling on all "hunters" to do all that is necessary to keep the ban in place.

Virginia hunters want this removed. Please help us defeat those against this ban and show those who stand with PETA and HSUS how their stand is felt by the Hunters throughout the nation.
vapahunter is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 10:42 AM
  #7  
Spike
 
wareaglecj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Alabama
Posts: 37
Default

Wow I guess I have been living under a rock. I didn't realize there were states left that banned Sunday hunting. It doesn't get much more conservative than where I live (Alabama) and we can go to chuch on Sunday and then climb in a stand, if we are so inclined to do either. Heck some of my best praying happens while I'm in the stand... I too would have a hard time obeying that law. Good luck and I hope yall get the ban lifted soon.
wareaglecj is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 01:43 PM
  #8  
Spike
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 5
Default to Stonewall308

So, just because I have visited this site for years and felt no need to comment, I am not an avid hunter? I realize that I am in the minority and that most VA hunters want Sunday hunting. I am ok with being in that minority for MY specific reasons.

Since I choose to comment, I am less of an outdoorsman than you? You have no idea about me, the same as I know nothing of you. I love how the internet allows someone to be a hero rather than face to face. I chose to comment, big deal. Last I heard you could do that. I fully expected to hear some arguments, and there are some good ones on here, but your quote about not being an avid sportsman is silly.

Put the "mine is bigger than yours" pride aside. I personally don't know anyone who hunts more than I do, but I know they are out there. Just not in my group of friends who hunt. Having a home office allows some of us to get out a bit more than others. I consider myself lucky to be in that situation.

-I personally didn't know about the no dog clause, but that makes perfect sense.
-I personally have conflicts on Sundays, but just didn't think about those of you with conflicts on Saturdays. I can admit I am wrong and didn't think that through like I should have.

I feel for others that can't get out like I do and I must admit that I could be swayed in my decision only because of what it stands for us to gain as hunters politically. My personal inclination is not to hunt on Sunday's, but that is MY personal inclination. I won't, and don't, push it on you, but I will express my opinion whether you like it or not.

I work in the marketing industry and am happy to say that we have turned down PETA, Defenders of Wildlife, and others of the same ilk. I don't agree with ANYTHING they stand for. BTW...if you didn't know, and you should, Defenders of Wildlife is even more anti than Peta. They have bigger marketing budgets, are a bigger organization, and they have the ear of more politicians than any of the other anti's. They should also be on our radar but I fear they are not.

Last edited by deluxejunk; 01-20-2012 at 01:46 PM.
deluxejunk is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 02:10 PM
  #9  
Nontypical Buck
 
VAhuntr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: VA, USA
Posts: 3,116
Default

Originally Posted by vapahunter View Post
As has been discovered your reason for having dogs running all weekend is a mute point. The VaHDA, a fully dog hunting organization, slipped in a rider at the last minute that says that dogs can nor be used to hunt Sundays. Next item on their agenda is to limit it to only bow hunters so it matches their rant against removing the ban. This group will do anything and everything to keep the ban on. Yet they say they are for expanding hunting opportunities for every one.

All who disagree with them should go to www.http://vahda.org/ and let them know. There is a contact point on their website to use for this. Also they are on a site called www.speeddogs.net/ calling on all "hunters" to do all that is necessary to keep the ban in place.

Virginia hunters want this removed. Please help us defeat those against this ban and show those who stand with PETA and HSUS how their stand is felt by the Hunters throughout the nation.

How was the VAHDA able to slip the rider in at the last minute? What Senator did they get to do this? Can you provide any links?
VAhuntr is offline  
Old 01-20-2012, 03:52 PM
  #10  
Typical Buck
Thread Starter
 
vapahunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Midlo, Va
Posts: 556
Default

Originally Posted by VAhuntr View Post
How was the VAHDA able to slip the rider in at the last minute? What Senator did they get to do this? Can you provide any links?
That is still being researched. It was put in the bill at somewhere along the process one seems to know who or when. But this was mentioned in letter by VaHDA as early as spring of last year. There are also statements by their chairmen that Sunday Hunting will be limited to bowhunters in the final bill. There seems to be alot of back door politicing and deals being made on this issue. That is why the fight can not be given up. At least two more votes needed and carefull looking at the bill that is up for vote is needed. Sundfay Hunting needs to be open to all hunters with all legal means utilized on the other 6 days. But should not be just limited to bowhunters. Time to really start writing and calling the politicians and let them know you are aware of the de3als being made.
vapahunter is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.