Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New Hunter, gear guidance?

Old 01-16-2012, 02:53 PM
Spike

Default New Hunter, gear guidance?

Hi

I am 18 I live in canada, I have wanted to hunt my whole life but never had anyone to go with and my parents never put me into a course so I signed up for the course i now have my P.A.L and hunters safety and I have friends and family that are willing to take me along. I have shot rifles and shotguns befor, and i have my gun picked out, its a Browning x bolt white gold medallion .270 wsm. I was wondering what sort of hunting gear I should get, i have the opions of some experienced hunters, but I dont want to miss anything i would be hunting anything from deer to elk and some smaller stuff between ontario and bc, I was wondering what scopes people would recommend and other essentials. I might consider adding a few new guns to my arsenal any and all advice will be considered.

Thanks
Old 01-16-2012, 03:00 PM
Fork Horn

Good choice to get involved in hunting !
Being you are in the Great White North I would look on this site or others for Saschatawan(sp) Outfitters or canada outfitters.
They USUALLY have a LIST OF STUFF TO BRING. If not available just call a couple or e-mail them. Say you may be interested in a hunt...bla bla bla, and say What brand , type , model etc. BUT use the list. MOST GOOD OUTFITTER HAVE THEM ON THEIR SITES ! Good Luck
Old 01-18-2012, 05:55 AM
Fork Horn

You best bet is to listen to the friends and family you have up there. Buy what you can afford and only what you need. As you progress, you will know what you need and what is best for you. If you live in MB or close to the western border or have a cheap phone card, you might call Bob Shebaylo at Canadian Archery. He is a distributor for many products and a good guy and he can steer you in the right direction. His number is 204/667-6558 or email at [email protected]. Tell him John Sloan sent you.

Old 01-18-2012, 05:34 PM
Spike

Scribe if i tell him you sent me will he give me a great deal or what?
Old 01-18-2012, 06:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

The .270 WSM Rifle is a great Rifle,plenty of power and it will reach out pretty far and be flat shooting since its a magnum...sad thing is the shells run around $35.00-$40.00 per box of 20 shells....if You do stay with it a 130 to 150 grain bullet will do the job.You'll pay dearly for the X-bolt,the Medallion and the White Gold.....personally a Synthetic Stock Rifle will hold up better in the cold weather and be very accurate.

I'd look at the 7mm-08 Rifles...less recoil and plenty of knock-down power too!

Another Rifle caliber to consider would be a .223 or .243 to do some Predator/Varmint Hunting which is said to be very good up there in Canada.I heard its COLD in Canada and since You have a long Winter Season for Hunting with real snow I would highly reccomend the Natural Gear Snow Camo clothing...it can go over Your regular clothes and should keep You nice and warm if You get the Insulated Clothes.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:20 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Jarrey12
Scribe if i tell him you sent me will he give me a great deal or what?
No, but he will steer you right. he is not a retailer, he can't sell you anything, just tell you what you need.
Old 01-20-2012, 11:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
The .270 WSM Rifle is a great Rifle,plenty of power and it will reach out pretty far and be flat shooting since its a magnum...sad thing is the shells run around $35.00-$40.00 per box of 20 shells....if You do stay with it a 130 to 150 grain bullet will do the job.You'll pay dearly for the X-bolt,the Medallion and the White Gold.....personally a Synthetic Stock Rifle will hold up better in the cold weather and be very accurate.

I'd look at the 7mm-08 Rifles...less recoil and plenty of knock-down power too!

Another Rifle caliber to consider would be a .223 or .243 to do some Predator/Varmint Hunting which is said to be very good up there in Canada.I heard its COLD in Canada and since You have a long Winter Season for Hunting with real snow I would highly reccomend the Natural Gear Snow Camo clothing...it can go over Your regular clothes and should keep You nice and warm if You get the Insulated Clothes.
i would like to stick with wsm as my cousin will reload for me and thats all he owns are wsm cartridges. he swears by them and since hes supplying my ammo price isnt a big concern of mine even if ammo wasnt already supplied for me the price is of no concern to me and i noticed you said synthetic stock is the way to go because of better durability and accuracy? i didnt know there was a difference in accuracy? although i do thank you for the advice and a 270 wsm works fine on varmint just wont be too much left of it besides i wouldnt kill a cayote because i want to eat it id kill it because its a danger to livestock and pets. other than that i dont plan on doing much other than bigger game hunting and i was told 270 will kill almost almost anything in north america i dont plan on buying too many more rifles in the future so i want one that will do everything i need it to do.
Old 01-21-2012, 04:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well, the first thing I have to say is that you have set your expectations very high for a starter in the sport. To advise you or direct you in gear is going to be very hard as everything you say your going to hunt and the areas tend to change and so will your hunting gear.

Your firearm of choice is fine the 270WSM is a great calibur but as said the ammo is not cheap. With that being said since I've owned one my shooting as changed a great deal and one shot kills tend to be more frequent. I would have to agree also with the change in levels of such gun, seems someone has directed you to ther highest price level and for what its worth the lower levels will shoot every bit if not better then that high priced gun.

Scopes are the same as guns, some are high priced in which they work great, but other low level scopes in the Middle of the field will work just fine. Up grading down the road is part of the fun of hunting and shooting.

Being from Canada myself and a hunter that hunts all sorts of different game from Moose to bear to turkeys and predators, one of the tools of the trade I use alot is Binoculars and I will say that a good set is the best way to go, as I have gone through a lot of pairs and settled with a higher priced pair that has saved the replacement buying of them.

Clothing is another field that needs to be touched but we have hot weather and darn well cold weather and the same clothing is just not going to be cutting it. You will need light camo, and some warmer stuff for the cold mornings.

There is so much to try and explain I would be hear all day. I would just do alot of reading and unstand the different situations the guys here and other types of hunting get into and what they have and use. Another great way is to visit sporting shows and talk to some of the guys that work booths and do seminars, they have been there and can also give you ideas of what may and may and may not work for you...

Hope that helps a little
Old 01-21-2012, 02:09 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Adrian J Hare
Well, the first thing I have to say is that you have set your expectations very high for a starter in the sport. To advise you or direct you in gear is going to be very hard as everything you say your going to hunt and the areas tend to change and so will your hunting gear.

Your firearm of choice is fine the 270WSM is a great calibur but as said the ammo is not cheap. With that being said since I've owned one my shooting as changed a great deal and one shot kills tend to be more frequent. I would have to agree also with the change in levels of such gun, seems someone has directed you to ther highest price level and for what its worth the lower levels will shoot every bit if not better then that high priced gun.

Scopes are the same as guns, some are high priced in which they work great, but other low level scopes in the Middle of the field will work just fine. Up grading down the road is part of the fun of hunting and shooting.

Being from Canada myself and a hunter that hunts all sorts of different game from Moose to bear to turkeys and predators, one of the tools of the trade I use alot is Binoculars and I will say that a good set is the best way to go, as I have gone through a lot of pairs and settled with a higher priced pair that has saved the replacement buying of them.

Clothing is another field that needs to be touched but we have hot weather and darn well cold weather and the same clothing is just not going to be cutting it. You will need light camo, and some warmer stuff for the cold mornings.

There is so much to try and explain I would be hear all day. I would just do alot of reading and unstand the different situations the guys here and other types of hunting get into and what they have and use. Another great way is to visit sporting shows and talk to some of the guys that work booths and do seminars, they have been there and can also give you ideas of what may and may and may not work for you...

Hope that helps a little
Thanks it does help, but again price isnt a big deal and I've always been a fan of browning's guns its not my first time shooting I've been shooting quite a while with friends and family but I am new to hunting im going to stick with the xbolt it feels nice in my hands and its nice and light. the action is short and quick and because of the new trigger and the cartridge is fed in direct alignment with the bolt rather than offset, therefor making a lighter and more reliable gun due to less moving parts. It has what I am looking for I'm not set on the model though, its between the stainless stalker and the white gold medallion I figured I could go with the white gold medallion because I like the look and I take good care of everything I own so I could make it last if I was a little more careless then the stainless stalker would be my best bet.

As far as scopes go I did a little bit of research and I like the leupold vx-3. I was interested in the vx-r but the fact that it is battery operated and all you get is a little red dot, doesnt do it for me its something I dont need so I will stick with the regular vx-3.

And for clothes I dont think I'm going to need any winter camo here in Manitoba we have the highest temperature fluctuations between -40C and 40C chances are if it drops below -20C im not going hunting and seeing as deer season is more towards fall I will need light and waterproof gear.

But I thank you all for the advice and I will be sure to go to some local retailers and ask some of the experts and get some more opinions from friends and family.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like You have been checking the Browning Rifles out and know what You want Jarrey12..!I actually have a Browning Gold A-Bolt Hunter Medallion .270 WSM but I don't take it out much,it has the wood stock with the blued barrel and personally...it is too nice to get out in any Snow/Rain in my opinion!

I can tell You that the .270 WSM shoot fast and flat...I sighted mine in dead on at 100 yards...took it over to the 200 yard Range and it was still climbing and hitting a little high out that far...I was impressed!

If Your wanting any Clothing that does well in cold and wet weather the Gore-Tek is suppose to be pretty good in that type of weather...maybe check the Camo/Clothing Gear Section to see what other Hunters reccomend in Camo?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.