Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

my rifle miss fired this year

Old 01-10-2012, 04:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

The 700 series had that defect from the time it went into production decades ago and Mike Walker, the engineer that designed the system for them told them it needed tweaking because in certain circumstances, just like you described, it can fire without touching the trigger. The Remington brass played circle jerk until over 2 million were sold and then they decided it would be too expensive to do a major recall and that they would handle lawsuits on a case by case basis and keep the problem quiet. There have been over 20 deaths attributed to what you experienced because some people had the gun pointed in the wrong direction when it went off. Remington finally did away with that trigger a few years ago and changed it to what Mr. Walker had wanted many years ago to eliminate misfires. However, the rotten SOBs are now putting the old trigger system in the 770 series to save money and compete with Savage and some of the other lower priced rifles on the market. They should be sued right into bankruptcy IMHO for the way they have mishandled that problem and continue to produce suspect products that can kill you!

Take your rifle to a competent gunsmith and have them put a Timney or other brand trigger in there so you don't have it happen again.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 01-10-2012 at 04:43 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:47 PM
Fork Horn

It happened at our camp twice about 10 or 12 years ago. From that point I forbid any 700s from being used on our lease.

Maybe it was a drastic move. But we have had no more incindents. One of the guns that went off sent a 270 bullet through the floor board of my buggy I left the hole their as a reminder.
Old 01-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

all you guys, was there freezing weather?
Old 01-10-2012, 07:14 PM
Spike

Go to the link and read about it, seems to be the best explanation that I've found to the problems. Look at the FBO FBC section down the page. http://gunsmiths.com/articledetail.php?id=87
Old 01-10-2012, 07:58 PM
Fork Horn

amazing no one is blaming the hunter, and praising remmington. That is what usually happens when this accidental discharge is mentioned in any forum.

I'd be hard pressed to buy a remmington rifle.
Old 01-11-2012, 03:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a newer 700 and you can work the bolt with the gun on safe, I do it to unload everytime I use it. Drop the bullets out the bottom to empty it, then work the bolt to remove the chambered one. Simple.

I did the research on the miss-fires before I bought, it it tied to older ones and has been redesigned. Others were the result of creating a "hair trigger" and back yard gun smiths screwing around.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

A guy that hunted with us had this happen. I was not there that day, but the story goes he was loading an old 700 at the side of the road before going into the woods. Loaded the mag, then slid one into the chamber..........boom. That guy went home for another gun and that one was put away. Don't know what the cause really was as the gun was an older model.

One thing I would look at is completely tearing down the bolt to see if there is rust or crud inside that may have prevented the pin from returning to its normal position.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

i love remington. That is all i shoot and i would never dis on them. There is a 3 position safety on the gun but i never bother to use the center safety loading and unloading my gun. I am having a gun smith look at it. thank you all for your comments and help.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

thanks Duck7604 for the link
Old 01-11-2012, 05:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the link too. That was very interesting !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.