Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
During the firearm season ..how do you prefer to hunt? >

During the firearm season ..how do you prefer to hunt?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

During the firearm season ..how do you prefer to hunt?

Old 01-10-2012, 06:13 AM
Dominant Buck

Default During the firearm season ..how do you prefer to hunt?

I hunt in a WMA public land..I ALWAYS carry in a climber and sit. During archery this works pretty good..BUT after the bullets start flying some prefer to Still hunt..{ Meaning take a few steps..look and listen and then move on}

Do you all prefer during firearm to Still Hunt or hunt from a stand.

A friend of mine ALWAYS Still hunts and does better than I..He also hunts the same area.

I have prefered Stand hunting but may change to Still Hunting
Old 01-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

Stand if solo blind if with my son.

Blackpowder or bow. Never shot a deer with modern rifle or shotgun.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:38 AM
Fork Horn

I would rather be in a tree when bullets start flying, to many people shoot at the sound of something walking through the woods rather than identifying their target and what lies beyond it.
Old 01-10-2012, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

Stand only for me
Old 01-10-2012, 09:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I prefer to still hunt, but I can't keep at it all day due to a bad back. So I resorted to mostly using a climber this season. Still hunting is very difficult and very demanding physically, even though you are moving slowly. I am going to work hard to get my back into working order so I can do more of what I love...still hunting! I don't think there's anything more satisfying than creeping up close to deer and having them not know you're there!
Old 01-10-2012, 05:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Climbing stand or fixed ladder stands 90% of the time. I love still hunting and do as much of that as I feel safe to do. I hunt in a "club" arrangement on about 3150 acres. Ther are often 10-12 more members hunting at the same time I am. And all contiguous properties are hunted as well, so I am very selective about when and where I still hunt.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Super Moderator

I still hunt. Put on drives some days also depending on how many people we have.
-Jake
Old 01-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Fork Horn

When you guys say, still hunt, what do you mean? I see hunting in a stand as still hunting. Do you mean stalk? Just curious, never heard that before.....
Old 01-11-2012, 04:08 AM
Dominant Buck

yes stalking is called Still Hunting
Old 01-11-2012, 05:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well you're only stalking if you have an animal in view and you intend to follow or close in on it.

mrl0004, it's called still hunting because you spend much more time still than you do moving. There are times where you can move a little quicker, but most of the time you are moving as silently as possible (it can take a full 20 seconds or more to take a step), and watching closely. Often times you glass between steps because with each step, multiple views change simultaneously (i.e. you can now see something behind a tree that you couldn't see in the previous step and you won't see in the next step, but might again in another 5 steps). It's very difficult and physically demanding, which is why...even if I didn't have a bad back...I definitely take advantage of the occasional all-day sit in the stand!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.