Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Firearm Capacity Limitations (Deer Hunting) >

Firearm Capacity Limitations (Deer Hunting)

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.
View Poll Results: Are there firearm capacity restrictions for deer hunting in your state?
Yes
65.91%
No
34.09%
Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Firearm Capacity Limitations (Deer Hunting)

Old 01-08-2012, 05:56 PM
Spike

3 in Texas
Old 01-08-2012, 06:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

In Florida a semi auto magazine can hold no more than 5 rounds so you get 6 shots total. Manually operated firearms have no limit.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:11 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
3 in IL

not sure but believe WI is 5.
Wisconsin never had a restriction on the magazine capacity. The only restriction, which was mentioned in the regulations, was the one imposed by Bill Clinton's assault weapon ban that banned any magazines that held over 10 rounds. Once the ban expired, the language was removed from the regulations in the next year.

Wisconsin only has a restriction on minimum caliber size and minimum rifle length.

Basically, we can use any centerfire cartridge that is .22 caliber or larger.

The rifle itself has to have an overall length of 26" with the barrel being 16".

Wisconsin is rather non-restrictive when it comes to what can be used for rifle hunting. Pretty much everything is legal to hunt with.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

In Virginia, there are no state restrictions on ammo capacity or on the types of firearms themselves; everything is mandated by local firearms ordinances (by county). Generally these ordinances tell you what types of firearms are allowed in that particular county, or in what instances certain firearms are allowed (e.g. the rifle regulation for Cumberland County states that rifles of .23 caliber or larger may only be used in treestands placed 10-ft or higher from the ground, but that shotguns and muzzleloaders are allowed from the ground). To my knowledge, none of the local ordinances place a restriction on ammo capacity or restrict the use of semi-automatic firearms.

I usually hunt with a muzzleloader, but I occasionally hunt with my M1A Scout. Standard magazines hold 20. I hunt with a 10-round mag and load 5 rounds. I would like to use a 5-round flush-mount magazine for hunting, but I have heard they are nearly impossible to remove.

And please…some of you…stop using the word “CLIP” unless you are talking about a real stripper clip! The word is “MAGAZINE.”

Old 01-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Sfury
Wisconsin never had a restriction on the magazine capacity. The only restriction, which was mentioned in the regulations, was the one imposed by Bill Clinton's assault weapon ban that banned any magazines that held over 10 rounds. Once the ban expired, the language was removed from the regulations in the next year.

Wisconsin only has a restriction on minimum caliber size and minimum rifle length.

Basically, we can use any centerfire cartridge that is .22 caliber or larger.

The rifle itself has to have an overall length of 26" with the barrel being 16".

Wisconsin is rather non-restrictive when it comes to what can be used for rifle hunting. Pretty much everything is legal to hunt with.
ok, then the joke here is, because many semi auto slug guns hold 5 without the plug, a guy will say i shot 5x, and we say where were you, Wis?? ie because in IL you can only shoot 3x before having to reload, but every year you hear 5 quick shots in a row...
Old 01-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
In Virginia, there are no state restrictions on ammo capacity or on the types of firearms themselves; everything is mandated by local firearms ordinances (by county). Generally these ordinances tell you what types of firearms are allowed in that particular county, or in what instances certain firearms are allowed (e.g. the rifle regulation for Cumberland County states that rifles of .23 caliber or larger may only be used in treestands placed 10-ft or higher from the ground, but that shotguns and muzzleloaders are allowed from the ground). To my knowledge, none of the local ordinances place a restriction on ammo capacity or restrict the use of semi-automatic firearms.

I usually hunt with a muzzleloader, but I occasionally hunt with my M1A Scout. Standard magazines hold 20. I hunt with a 10-round mag and load 5 rounds. I would like to use a 5-round flush-mount magazine for hunting, but I have heard they are nearly impossible to remove.

And please…some of you…stop using the word “CLIP” unless you are talking
about a real stripper clip! The word is “MAGAZINE.”

What he said. About Virginia laws. I only bow and blackpowder hunt. But I really wonder about the people yanking 5 rounds off at a deer with a shotgun.

The clip and magazine is also a pet peeve of mine.
Old 01-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
What he said. About Virginia laws. I only bow and blackpowder hunt. But I really wonder about the people yanking 5 rounds off at a deer with a shotgun.

The clip and magazine is also a pet peeve of mine.
Krypt… I too always wonder about the 5-shot strings! I believe in one shot, one kill. I fired two shots this season and killed two deer, both easily within bow range. I only hunt with my rifle in counties that allow them when it’s a doe day (very few of those on the Powhatan WMA). Since they often travel together, I figure I can bag two at a time if I’m lucky (not gonna happen with a muzzleloader, which is what I carry on buck days). I carry 5 rounds in the magazine since you never what could go wrong. Better to have it and not need it…

But, back to the 5-shot strings oft heard during the season, I also try to keep in mind that just because I’m hunting deer doesn’t mean everyone else is. They could be blasting a bunch of squirrels or fowl or rabbits. Who knows? It makes me cringe to think that sometimes 5 rifle shots are flying into the air. Yikes! Though I don’t do man drives or dog drives, I can understand why someone using buckshot on one of those drives would require two or three shots. Buckshot just sucks. I used it once during my first season of hunting, and never again. One buck required 3 shots, another doe dropped on the spot (lucky!), and another doe needed two shots and had to be tracked. I'll never use it again!
Old 01-09-2012, 01:10 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
ok, then the joke here is, because many semi auto slug guns hold 5 without the plug, a guy will say i shot 5x, and we say where were you, Wis?? ie because in IL you can only shoot 3x before having to reload, but every year you hear 5 quick shots in a row...
Well, you can't fix stupid. There are always people breaking the law. No matter how stringent it may be.

I'm glad that I can use pretty much any firearm I want to outside of the shotgun only zones. Thankfully here in Wisconsin, the DNR designates those zones, and has maps that define those regions in the manual published every year.

It makes following the laws to hunt in my state so much simpler. I've read some of the posts, and I wonder how you can hunt at all in some states without reading a ream of local laws, and then you still break some obscure rule. You are being red taped to death...
Old 01-10-2012, 06:20 PM
Spike

I must admit I am a bit surprised that many states impose limits. The reason I am interested in this subject is because it gives the anti gun folks "ammunition" to use against us on the subject of high capacity magazines. "No legitimate sporting purpose yadda yadda..." All the while pointing to Ohio's hunting regulations to make their case. Apparently this problem is rampant across several states. I'm also a member of the Buckeye Firearms Association and this topic is of particular interest to me. Fortunately Ohio does not impose capacity restrictions for handgun hunters. So at least we still have that for the time being.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think capacity limitations are there for two reasons, either 1) idiot antis fought to have them so they can feel safer, or 2) many states allow you to only take one deer per day, so the restriction is in place to prevent people from taking multiple deer.

The first reason doesn't even need to be addressed, but as for the second, well, I am opposed to any law or regulation that's purpose is to prevent or deter the breaking of another law already in place (i.e. a fence around a fence). If people want to exceed a bag limit, they're going to do it regardless of the restriction.

In VA, I could load my M1A Scout up with a 20-round magazine if I wanted. Whoop-ty-doo.

Last edited by 7.62NATO; 01-11-2012 at 05:41 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.