Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Let one walk today, surprised at reaction >

Let one walk today, surprised at reaction

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Let one walk today, surprised at reaction

Old 01-06-2012, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator

I let walk more than I shoot I know that. I'm not out there just to kill a deer usually. And when it comes time to just kill one, I typically get it done. These last few seasons I've let lots of doe walk because I didn't want to do the work that came with taking one. Being in college, if I shoot one here I have to take it home (2.5 hours), take care of it there and all that. It's easier to pass them up and wait for an "easier" doe when I'm closer to home. A nice buck would be worht it, but not just a doe and not when I already had meat in the freezer. Never regret passing one up, if you pass one there is a reason for doing it. If at the end of the year you're kicking yourself because you passed too many...Just remember, every time you pass one there's a good reason. And that's what matters.
-Jake
Old 01-06-2012, 11:24 AM
Fork Horn

This year my season started July 30th archery and ended Jan 1st. I passed on dozens of young bucks and a few mature bucks that were not 8 points (our club as an 8 pt rule).

I could have shot a couple of does. But our rut is in August and by the time we got our doe tags mid November the does were so far along on their gestation that I just could not pull the trigger.

So my last hunt 12/26 Monday PM. 5:40 with about 15 minutes of light left. I was sitting in my box blind I had seen 4 small bucks, 6 does, 4 hogs, 2 otters, 4 raccoons, a flock of pink spoonbills, and 3 wood ducks. So I am convinced my season is over. And I am happy I thank God for a great season. When deep in the hammock I see movement. I see HORNS, out comes a nice 8 point in all his glory. Just walks out and stands perfectly broadside. Smack down double lung with my 06.

So you see hunting and a successful hunt as nothing to do with killing. I feel sorry for the person that does not enjoy a season when they shoot anything. I would have been just as happy to go home without a deer.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:18 PM
Fork Horn

I haven't killed a buck since 2007. I have no idea how many I've let walk since then. I typically only hunt for mature bucks and I let a pretty nice 8 walk opening morning. The biggest buck I've seen in 4 years. I did take a doe this year for meat but I enjoy just being out there. On the other hand, my buddies hunting party shoots everything that moves. One guy shot 8 in the first 3 days. A small 1 1/2 year old buck and the rest does and fawns. I told my buddy to let some walk and you'll up your odds on taking bigger bucks. He says " if we don't shoot em the neighbors will". I bet no one in that group has let any deer walk in years.
Old 01-06-2012, 05:35 PM
Super Moderator

Omega,

Some people hunt that way. And there's nothing wrong with that. If a persons goal in hunting is to shoot for meat, then that's what they need to do. My dad could care less about horns. He's taken some decent bucks and the horns are stuck in his grape vine. But he shoots a buck and a doe almost every year for meat. He passes small doe and waits for a big one. So he does pass deer, but it's not in hopes of shooting a big buck. There are many hunters who are out there for the meat. And that's their choice.
-Jake
Old 01-07-2012, 02:17 AM
Fork Horn

I think what bothered me most was non hunters thoughts that we go out and kill anything and everything. Thats why they were so surprised I passed. Again, its not that I passed as I do this often in bow season, warm weather etc, but I was pretty sure I would take a doe if I saw one, which I did, yet I still passed. Their perception of hunting was pretty off.
As far as my co-worker asking for a deer, I didn't mind. I was talking to him and saying how I was lucky enough to fill my freezer and he asked why I still go out. I told him if I took anything else it would get donated. Thats when he hinted he'd take a deer. He's not well off so I'd feel good about that. Im in maryland and we have a long season and unlimited doe tags so it was no extra cost to me.
With that being said, the truck is warming up now and I'm heading out for the final firearm day of the year.....with no promises of shooting anything!!!
Old 01-07-2012, 02:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Successfull hunt IMO. You put yourself in position to take the deer. Had a clean shot with the crosshairs on it. Hunt is pretty much over IMO. The only thing you didn't do was pull the trigger. Dead deer walking. I've passed on several deer for no apparent reason. Nobody should tell you what or when to shoot. Just being out there mingling with these critters is rewarding enough. A kill is icing on the cake.

The only thing different and may have caused me to shoot it even though I didn't feel like it is if someone like you described really wanted the meat. Then I might do it for them. But ultimately you hunt for you and it's your decision. No wrong there.
Old 01-07-2012, 02:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

Its a good thing that hunters allow certain deer to walk to live another day. I've let alot of deer walk in my 31 years of hunting. I haven't killed a doe in over 8 years, this year alone I let 5 bucks walk, and now I'm eating tag soup, and don't have a problem with that. Hunting doesn't mean killing every deer or game you hunt. I know guys that kill 15 plus deer a year in their own eyes they are a great hunter, in my eyes they are killers, there is a difference!!!
Old 01-10-2012, 06:51 AM
Fork Horn

I let tons of deer walk every year, in my opinion hunting is not about shooting everything that walks in front of you. One of my biggest rules is not taking does with fawns in tow, that's my choice and it makes me feel good to watch a doe with her fawns walk past.