Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Late Christmas Present

Old 01-05-2012, 07:52 AM
Spike

Talking Late Christmas Present

I am actually writing this thread from Campina Grande, Brazil. Me and my family are here on a one month mission trip. My last day in the states was New Year's Eve, but my last chance to hunt was Friday evening, the 30th. I've hunted hard all season, trying to get a buck and this was my last chance. I chose to hunt the tripod, which is my honeyhole. As weird as it sounds, I'd never killed a deer out of there. It is a stand that you can hunt almost any time of the year and see a deer, but I had never pulled the trigger. I had left my rifle at my other grandpa's house, so I had to borrow my Papa's .270. He was going to check trail cameras and pour out corn on other areas of the property while I hunted. I got in the stand at around 4:00 PM and reflected over my deer season as I watched the food plot and the feeder, as well as checked for deer crossing my shooting lanes in the pines. After about an hour and fifteen minutes, I decided to take some pictures. I snapped a few, and didn't notice the deer because I was on 1x zoom and looking through my viewfinder. As I put the camera back in my fanny pack, I looked up and there stood a deer at the far end of the midde shooting lane, at about 120 yards. I got on her and knew it was a doe, and when the nub buck came out right behind her, I knew this was a deer that we've gotten on trail camera all year. On the opening day of gun season, these same two deer had fed all around me in the same stand, and now, over two months later, here they came again. But this time around, I was wanting to kill a deer; any deer. I decided that I would only shoot her if they got within 50 yards and she gave me a good shot. They came up the middle shooting lane, and go within about 45 yards when she gave me a broadside shot. I decided to not shoot and waited to see what they would do. She turned and went into the pines, moving to my left. I knew what she was doing. She didn't want to walk out into the open to go into the food plot, and she was going to the other lane to enter in from the corner. I got the gun where I knew she would come out, and there she was. She came into the foodplot and turned broadside at 10 yards. I put the crosshairs on the lower part of her shoulder and squeezed the trigger. She wheeled around and went into the left shooting lane, then cut back to the right and into the pines. She crossed the middle shooting lane about 50 yards out and she was running low to the ground so I knew it was a good hit. I got all of my gear together and got down. When I got to where she was standing, there was guts and bits of corn everywhere. Even though I saw that, for some reason I knew that I had made a good shot, even though it didn't make any sense. My Papa got there and I told him what had happened. We went to where I had last seen her and there was some bloody corn in the road. Papa started getting anxious and saying that I had gut shot her. I told him to just relax and that I knew where she went. I walked about ten more yards and I saw a white belly in the edge of the woods. She hadn't run 50 yards. The bullet had went into her shoulder and blew it up, and either the bullet or pieces of bone ricocheted and came out of her guts. We took a few pictures and then drug her back out the the food plot. We went and got the trail camera a few hundred yards away, and she was on the card that same evening. We loaded her into the truck and took her home to be skinned. I know this was really long, especially for just a doe, but under the circumstances of it being a day before I left the country and it being my last chance for the season, it is my favorite hunt so far. I only killed two does this year, and didn't do as good as I had hoped, but I still killed deer and spent quality time with both of my grandpa's. I can't wait for next season, as I know it will be even better, and turkey season will be here soon!
Late Christmas Present-decemberdoenogut.jpg
Old 01-05-2012, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on a nice doe