Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Last minute Florida swamp donkey >

Last minute Florida swamp donkey

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last minute Florida swamp donkey

Old 12-27-2011, 06:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default Last minute Florida swamp donkey

I wasnt going to hunt yesterday but after checking the weather forecast and the wind direction. I called my buddy Eli Gracias and we went up for an afternoon hunt. Right off the bat things started bad really bad my rear axle on my Jeep broke and my right rear tire came right off. It was 2:45 I had the kids walk to a stand where they would hunt together and Eli was at another stand.

I proceeded to call my friends in Labelle (thank God for friends) one of them drove out and gave me a lift to camp. I called our mobile mechanic and he dropped what he was doing came out checked out the axle to see what he needed to do to fix it. By the time I left him at the gate it was 4:10pm. So I quickly got to my stand by 4:30 there were 3 does feeding when I arrived but thanks to the wind I slipped into my stand unnoticed.

Soon afterwards a 4 point and 6 point joined the does. By 5:30 I was stating to think that this was not going to be the day. While glassing deep into the hammock I see horns. This is the first shooter buck I have seen on this stand all season. He came right and turned broadside at 80 yards a chip shot. But there were 4 deer behind him so I had to wait. When he took 2 more steps I double lunged him with my 06. He mule kicked and I knew he was mine. That deer ran a good 150 yards but the blood trail was so obvious that a blind man could follow it.

About 5 minutes after I shot. I hear the boys shoot. I knew it was another buck since I had told them no does or pigs today. Eli Jr shot another 8 point. His younger brother Andre let him take the shot since he was the one that had shot the last buck. Earlier in the day when they picked me up in the morning I asked them to bring their big cooler I had a feeling that we were going to harvest a couple of bucks. Dont ask me why it was just a feeling I am sure many of you have felt it.

So what started out as a calamity (with my buggy) ended up with 2 8s with only 6 days left to the season.

I love it when it all comes together.
Attached Thumbnails Last minute Florida swamp donkey-dscn1384.jpg   Last minute Florida swamp donkey-dscn1378.jpg   Last minute Florida swamp donkey-dscn1374.jpg  
Old 12-27-2011, 07:59 PM
Spike

Talk about your highs and lows for the day! Sucks about the jeep but congrats on the deer!
Old 12-28-2011, 08:19 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the harvest.
Old 12-28-2011, 03:27 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by triglet
Talk about your highs and lows for the day! Sucks about the jeep but congrats on the deer!
Yeah tell me about. I am almost just gave in and headed home. But the boys hadnt been able to hunt all year cause they were at school.

So I said the hec it lets make it happen. The God Lord above made sure the ride home was a happy home.

Heading out in the morning for my last 2 days. Lets see what happens.