Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rub Lines

Old 12-27-2011, 02:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rub Lines

I was telling a buddy about a major rub line I found this year while hunting. He mentioned that you shouldn't hunt the rub line but sit offset from it. I have heard this before and read it also that you should look for these lines that are usually offset when you find a major thoroughfare that A LOT of deer are obviously taking. The rub line itself winds down a tightly covered old narrow ATV trail and edges between cedars and a body of water. It opens up in two places that I think would be great to sit. One is in thick cover on all sides and is secluded under thick cedars but is open enough that you could see 30-40 yards either direction. I plan on given it a try next season as I am unable to hunt anymore this year. My question is: Should you hunt offset of rub lines or "secondary trails" or could I consider a very secure route the deer take when avoiding pressure during the season?
Old 12-27-2011, 09:03 AM
Typical Buck

I myself hunt rub lines ,I've taken bucks by using them. But it's up to you .Good luck to you next year .But give it a try what do you have to lose.
Old 12-27-2011, 08:37 PM
Typical Buck

Default Rub lines...

just tells me that there is a active buck in the area, means good place to set up. That said, I still use the standard rules for a set up ie; choke points, trails between food and cover, etc.
Old 12-28-2011, 06:12 AM
Typical Buck

When I bowhunted out of state and it was a crowded area, I used to make rub lines. I carried a small "cheese grater" like you use in body shops and put false lines out to keep the city folk over on the other side of the mountain. Sometimes it backfires and deer start to hit the line also. Be careful where you hunt.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:00 PM
Typical Buck

I think rublines really don't do much for you... If all you know about the situation is that you have a rubline, chances are pretty good its being done at night. Deer are nocturnal, and especially big bucks. In order to kill them in daylight, and especially on heavy hunted public land you need to know where the big bucks bed... I shot a 166 1/8 typical 10 point on public land this year on OCT. 31st. There was a huge rubline starting about 150 yards from his bed heading away. Guys were camped all over it. I walked right past two other hunters and set up 75 yards from his bed. I watched him get up and close the distance and shot him under my stand within minutes of closeing time. Any farther back would of never gotten me a shot at a buck of that age bracket. Thats a typical hunt for me... Its all about bedding!
Old 12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I shot a nice 11-Point Buck this Nov. 14 while it was hitting its rub line at 9:00-9:30 Am in the morning...during the Rut might be a better time to hunt close to a rub line?If Your Bow Hunting You will need to be in closer...during Rifle Season You can sit further off from a rub line and not have as big an impact on it.
Old 12-29-2011, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

Never mined what i said listen to Bukmastr he has all the buck on the barn wall.
Old 12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
Fork Horn

I was set up about 50-100 yards from that line which is parrarell and had a nice buck walk right under my stand. I had hunted that spot a lot over the years. Its the closest I can get to the bedding area without entering private property up on a ridge. I get lucky on timing and deer come down right before dark. I was just curous as to the rule of thumb when it comes to hunting rublines.