Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Central Texas Deer Down

Old 12-24-2011, 09:55 PM
Spike

Default Central Texas Deer Down

I shot this deer a week earlier with a .243, we trailed blood and nothing. A week later my grandson spotted the same 10 point and I had my .270 with us and completed the mission. When I retrieved this buck, I had shot low on him the previous week and he had a three inch dirameter hole on his left breast with meat showing, but a clean shot through the neck finished him off. It's amazing how tough these deer are. It's great to hunt with my grandson and teach him the sport of shooting deer.
Attached Thumbnails Central Texas Deer Down-trev-grampaw-shot.jpg  

Last edited by topbuck1; 12-24-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:32 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats on the harvest.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:35 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on a nice buck .
Old 12-25-2011, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

merry xmas...nice buck for around here fer sure..they are tough, thats why we dbl lung or neck shoot em. neck shot never fails, never even seen one run, but have heard of such things happen, but so far its just a myth to us.
hard to believe with a hole like that he survived, i saw a guy just graze a deer in the chest, looked like someone was carvin him like a turkey, but stopped after an inch, and he didnt go 50 yards...so i guess luck has a lil to do with those shots.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:27 PM
Spike

Congrats on a beautiful deer!!!!