Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Tracking buck, found nockturnal but no arrow! >

Tracking buck, found nockturnal but no arrow!

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Tracking buck, found nockturnal but no arrow!

Old 12-21-2011, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by scribe
I might add a feeling I have on my own. I think hunters are waiting too long to start blood trailing. I'll not take up the bandwidth explaining that.
not to sideline the thread,
but i would disagree with that
i personally think many dont wait long enough and are pushing many of the lost deer.
recommended waiting period used to be 1 hr for well placed shots and 4 hrs for bad shots.(for bow)
have seen quite a few posts where people stated they waited 15-20 minutes to track,
Old 12-21-2011, 04:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Kountrykristi
The shot was approx 25 yrds and the nock wasn't found where he shot.. it was about 50 yrds away from that area (where the deer ran) The meat is important to us, but this particular buck was for the trophy! He would've mounted him. My husband has been hunting since he was old enough to hold a gun. I haven't met many as passionate about it and more ethical! He is the man people call to help track THEIR deer. Thanks for input everyone. We haven't given up yet. I'll post pics when we find it! That's me speaking in faith
good luck to you and your husband
Old 12-21-2011, 04:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Kountrykristi
The shot was approx 25 yrds and the nock wasn't found where he shot.. it was about 50 yrds away from that area (where the deer ran) The meat is important to us, but this particular buck was for the trophy! He would've mounted him. My husband has been hunting since he was old enough to hold a gun. I haven't met many as passionate about it and more ethical! He is the man people call to help track THEIR deer. Thanks for input everyone. We haven't given up yet. I'll post pics when we find it! That's me speaking in faith
Good luck, keep at it. I hope you find him.Tracking dogs are legal in FL... you might want to see if you can find one that will help you. They can do some amazing things, even days later.

Go here: http://www.unitedbloodtrackers.org/i...&id=3&Itemid=6
Old 12-21-2011, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

i agree with teresec...although i have been a 5 minute wait guy, cause the suker piled up on the spot...you should wait a lil longer, especially with a bow, before going to look..

any bow hunters here? if so, how far was yer last shot on a deer?
i know mine was 19 yards...not saying 25 is too far by any means, but i am not guessing the yardage, gives me a lil more of a chance to not make a bad shot. when someone says approximately...it tells me they didnt use a range finder...im not saying you have too, but sure takes the guess work outta which pin to use, whether to aim a lil high or a lil low, leaving less room fer error. instead of saying, "my 25 yard pin will be ok" and then not finding a deer.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:57 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by Terasec
not to sideline the thread,
but i would disagree with that
i personally think many dont wait long enough and are pushing many of the lost deer.
recommended waiting period used to be 1 hr for well placed shots and 4 hrs for bad shots.(for bow)
have seen quite a few posts where people stated they waited 15-20 minutes to track,
I have to agree terasec, it rarely hurts to wait unless you see the deer go down and stay down. I have killed a whole bunch of deer with a bow and lost a few too. Through trial and error I have finally figured out it is better for me to wait especially if I am not sure of how well I hit it. Deer can be very tough and even a well hit deer can go a long ways on the adrenalin. Without a shock value a bow struck deer needs to bleed out to die or become incapacitated. I have found that a bow struck deer if it is not a heart or double lung shot will run off and bed after only a few hundred yards. Going right after them usually results in a deer that gets pushed and often doesn’t stop for a while. On the other hand if you are in an area heavy with coyotes then there is that issue to weigh into the equation. If there are a lot of yotes then IMO there is probably a better chance of getting the deer if you go right after it. By the next morning it will probably be easy to find but all the meat will be gone. This scenario is probably what scribe based his opinion on.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Typical Buck

On my first archery deer the nock came off. I got a complete pass through at 12 yards and the arrow stuck in the dirt right where the deer was standing, but the nock was never found.

If the arrow was sticking out of your deer, the nock could have struck a tree and fallen out.

Good luck on finding the deer. Any deer that wasn't recovered in time to save the meat, I would count it as lost regardless of whether the antlers were recovered. It happens every once in a while, no shame in it as long as you took an ethical shot.

Good luck.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Stonewall308
On my first archery deer the nock came off. I got a complete pass through at 12 yards and the arrow stuck in the dirt right where the deer was standing, but the nock was never found.

If the arrow was sticking out of your deer, the nock could have struck a tree and fallen out.

Good luck on finding the deer. Any deer that wasn't recovered in time to save the meat, I would count it as lost regardless of whether the antlers were recovered. It happens every once in a while, no shame in it as long as you took an ethical shot.

Good luck.

see how he says it was 12 yards...not approximately 10, or 15, or close to 12...but it was 12 yards.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:46 PM
Spike

It happens.....

Years ago I lost a deer once and its sickening. To this day I cannot make sense of it: I had a chance for a quick hunt after school, I grabbed my bow, literally ran out to my treestand. I wasnt even there for one minute and I could see a buck coming down the trail. He stopped right and gave my a wonderful broadside and I hit him right in the chest. He ran for about 20 yards before the arrow fell out the opposite side that I hit him. When I got down there was lots of bright blood everywhere. Within 40 yards there was so much blood I decide to get my father to help me drag him out. When we both got on him at about 200 yards he worked a scrape which started to make us worry because it didn't make sense but at the same time there was good blood still. Not long after that the blood slowed then almost totally stopped and was hard to find even in the snow.

Long story short- we went for miles and did not recover that deer.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:28 PM
Fork Horn

I lost 5 deer in my life. All with a bow. I think I know why when I got my trail cam. A flash on a camera is 1/60 second. I see deer all the time jumping when the flash goes off. An arrow can't beat 1/60th of a second. I learn to shoot when the deer seems very calm. I even quit bow hunting for several years. This spring I get my Mathews z7extreme I think the quiet bow will really help too. Bottom line is it can happen to the best. Who here has not lost a deer? Hope ya get the buck.