Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Rut over with???

Old 12-20-2011, 01:52 AM
Spike

Question Rut over with???

I live in NW north carolona is the rut still goin or is it pritty much over??Thanks
Old 12-20-2011, 05:02 AM
Spike

I could probably say without hesitation that it probably is. But you also have to consider the fact that there 2 to even 3 ruts. The 1st, being the most intense one, that we all refer to is the one that comes around mid-November, and the second rut, which comes around mid December. You can't really compare the two though since the second is considerably less intense than the Nov rut. I've heard that there is even a very small 3rd rut that comes through in mid January, but I may be wrong. I suppose it wouldn't matter because the season is closed at that point anyway. Whereabouts in NW NC do you hunt? I hunt in the Iredell-Rowan county area.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:00 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by philipwicker
I could probably say without hesitation that it probably is. But you also have to consider the fact that there 2 to even 3 ruts. The 1st, being the most intense one, that we all refer to is the one that comes around mid-November, and the second rut, which comes around mid December. You can't really compare the two though since the second is considerably less intense than the Nov rut. I've heard that there is even a very small 3rd rut that comes through in mid January, but I may be wrong. I suppose it wouldn't matter because the season is closed at that point anyway. Whereabouts in NW NC do you hunt? I hunt in the Iredell-Rowan county area.
I hunt in surry county
Old 12-22-2011, 07:30 AM
Spike

I hunt in Scotland Co a lot... saw a big buck chasing a doe this morning that I couldn't get a shot on.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:15 PM
Spike

I'm in South Carolina and have a few trail cameras out on my property. Some of the bucks still have huge swollen necks. And, about a week ago, a buck ran a doe right through our yard. I would say that the peak is over but it ain't over til it's over. There will be a few does coming into estrus even in January.
Old 12-23-2011, 06:25 AM
Typical Buck

yep like philip said, your secondary rut is usually about 28 days after the primary rut....all the does who didnt get bred in the first rut come back into season, but its not as intense. I think you can still use estrous scent and bleats, etc with some good effects, especially since the winter hasnt been too harsh yet.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:04 PM
Fork Horn

As long as there is sufficient nutrition, moderate weather, sufficient does still unbred and bucks still in velvet, there will be some form of rut every 28 days until one of the factors changes. Ma Nature has it figured pretty well.

What we see and what is actually taking place are two far different things. Hunters usually only see what happens during daylight and assume that is all there is to it. The fact is, most of the true activity happens after dark. The major factor affecting the rut as hunters see it,(or don't see it) is the weather in general and the temperature specifically. The moon has nothing to do with it. Factual biological studies show the peak of the rut, no matter where you are, will occur within 10-14 days of when it has for the last 100 years. The peak being defined as when the largest number of does are in estros.

Those that go unbred will come into estros and be available for breeding approximately 28 days later. That then, repeats. Then approximately 25% of the older doe fawns will come into estros. That may be, depending on where you live, as much as four months after the peak of the rut. However, prior to the peak, a small number of the more mature does will come into estros. Therefore as many as five months may be involved in actual breeding. Hunters just don't see it but fawning dates don't lie. Does may be bred in September with the peak of the rut in November. And just as well, does may be bred in February or even March. I once saw a six-point with hard antlers breed a receptive doe in late March in AL. That means an October fawn.

Depending on the rut is very often a handicap to a hunter. In can in fact be, the worst hunting if the weather is warm. Two keys to watch for is the breakup of the bachelor groups of bucks often followed by the sudden appearance of mature, lone does traveling by themself. When you see that, the rut is about to break open. If it is warm, you may never see it.