Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

cinnamon attractant

Old 12-15-2011, 07:46 AM
Typical Buck

Default cinnamon attractant

Got some cinnamon spray cans similar to buck bombs we use at work.
Wondering how that would work if you sprayed some shrubs or just mist the air for an attractant.

People use vanilla, why not cinnamon?

Thoughts???
Old 12-15-2011, 08:21 AM
Spike

I would say that it is something to be "experimented" with. I have experimented with various "attractants" of Curiosity scents over the years. Some worked, some didn't. Some worked well, some didn't work very well.

A lot of hunters (especially the old timers that I knew) used to experiment with different formulas for attractants. They would use individual scents as well as combining them in different ratios ect.

I don't see why you couldn't use cinnamon, I have, but I have never tried it on its own. I usually mixed it with other scents and got varying results. And I believe these results are not 100% guaranteed to work on every deer.
I have watched deer follow scent trails and come in to investigate estrous scent and curiosity/ attractant scents that I have laid down in the morning and witnessed the same trail being bypassed by other deer later on in the day. In some instances walking right over the same scent trail....and not even seem to take notice.

Why does this happen???? I don't really know. I have called in deer with doe bleats and grunts and watched deer react to them. Then there will be times that I will use the doe bleat or grunt call and get NO RESPONSE - NO REACTION from certain deer. It almost seems like they are deaf....but they are not. I will take a very small twig and snap it and immediately, their ears and head turns and they can generalize almost the exact location where the twig broke.
Why does this happen??? Like I said, I really don't know. Will cinnamon work as an attractant for you? I don't know that either, but it has worked for me on a couple occasions. The only way you will know for sure is do a little experimenting with it in the off season and maybe some different formulas with it. And monitor the areas for activity and reactions.
The most important thing to remember here is "What is good for the Goose might not be good for the Gander" in this case. Meaning, some deer might get curious and come in to investigate, some might not like it and avoid it, and others might not even pay any attention to it at all. Only one way to find out.....Good luck my friend.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

Deer are curious creatures. They may be attracted to almost anything including a deer carcass. Cinnamon will work...sometimes. No attractant works all the time or on all animals. What brings one running in is just as likely to send one running off.

It is quite likely that the least effective and most used and missused is an estrus scent.
Old 12-15-2011, 10:00 AM
Typical Buck

True nothing works all the time. I have done bleats and get nearly ran over by a buck was excited to find the doe calling and have done them and had them blow at me and take off.

Might give it a try this weekend and see what happens. Can't hurt as things been pretty quiet for a couple weeks. My trail cam is getting lonely.
Old 12-15-2011, 12:47 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Krypt Keeper
True nothing works all the time. I have done bleats and get nearly ran over by a buck was excited to find the doe calling and have done them and had them blow at me and take off.

Might give it a try this weekend and see what happens. Can't hurt as things been pretty quiet for a couple weeks. My trail cam is getting lonely.
Give it a try Krypt Keeper....and let us know how it goes. Good luck
Old 12-15-2011, 01:34 PM
Fork Horn

Beware-it is one heck of a bear attractant. We used it all the time in Canada.
Old 12-15-2011, 03:30 PM
Typical Buck

Plan to try it Saturday and will report back with my findings.

Bear here are few and far between. They have been seen and taken yet would have a better chance at finding Bigfoot. But would like to have a bear skin rug in my living room.
Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default To Think

A great cook could attract the biggest buck with her award winning pastry, cinnamon croissants. This hunting keeps getting more involved.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:33 AM
Typical Buck

Saturday morning saw nothing.
Saturday afternoon saw nothing.

Sprayed scent both times. Did spray some in front of trail camera before leaving Saturday morning.

Also had 10 deer in field across road from my property as I left Saturday evening. Still standing bean field hard to get deer to leave the only food. Oh well.

Will post what my camera catches maybe Friday.
Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know that Dan Fitzgerald uses vanilla in his scents. My brother is allergic to it and first time he used it and sprayed a bit on his arm, he broke out. I have used his scents with good results and have heard old timers talk about using vanilla as well.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.