Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother >

i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother

Old 12-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Spike

Default i need help selecting a new deer rifle for my little brother

he is only 7 so i want something he can shoot comfortabely. the max range i will let him shoot for now is 100-150 yards depending on the size of the deer. i would also like the ammo to be easy to find at good prices. remember the less recoil the better. for the reasons aboce i was thincking of getting him a .308 winchester shooting some reduced recoil factory load so i wnat have to buy him another gun but yet aggain im scittish of the recoil. what did you all use when you were seven and how bad did the first shot feel.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Remington model 7 w/youth stock, in .243. You can upgrade later to a full size stock if you want, they are cheap.

My son has been shooting deer since he was 8. He has a Ruger M77 compact, in .243 which is a good choice as well. I got it from a buddy cheap, otherwise I'd have bought the remington as I'm partial to them. I will say though, I have no complaints about that gun, sweet little setup and it puts em down for sure.

Very low recoil, plenty of gun to take game with no problems out to a good long ways. For a 7yo, you probably want to limit his shot distance until he's got some experience under his belt. My rules were 50yds or less, standing still broadside. He's now 14 and after taking alot of deer, he knows his capabilities.
Nontypical Buck

depends on where yer located...way down souf here i say a 223 with 64g rounds.
yer state might not allow fer that though.
Fork Horn

I don't remember much about age 7, but I would think a 30-30 or 243 would be ideal.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

yeah..lol...a 30-30 in the hands of a 7 y/o? good luck gettin him to take a 2nd shot.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:46 PM
Spike

Talking hi

I am thinking a 458 weatherby magnum of course he would have to grow into it. He could start out shooting ground squirrels and work his way up to elephants as he got older.and don't forget to only shoot what you can eat!!
your welcome
Old 12-10-2011, 04:55 PM
Spike

Like some of the others before have stated. Put a nice .243 in his hands in a nice bolt action. I bet he will love it.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

As halfbaked said, a 223 if you can legally shoot it and I would more lean towards the 243 as others have said if he does not mind the recoil.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up in a hunting family, dad was a market hunter during The Great Depression...

At 7, we were shooting a .22 and squirrel hunting, that's still a great way to start a person wanting to learn to hunt...

It's evident reading these forums that many never learned the basics which can be learned by hunting small game...
Old 12-11-2011, 05:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
I grew up in a hunting family, dad was a market hunter during The Great Depression...

At 7, we were shooting a .22 and squirrel hunting, that's still a great way to start a person wanting to learn to hunt...

It's evident reading these forums that many never learned the basics which can be learned by hunting small game...
Not that I never learned the basics of small game hunting, but I believe the original post asked suggestions about a first "deer" rifle for his little brother. That's why my answer was a 243.

And yes, I truly believe that a whole bunch can be learned from small game hunting too from very basic to advanced skills.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.