Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ever get that feeling?

Old 12-05-2011, 06:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ever get that feeling?

Friday was the last day of the first part of our split archery season here. I usually go late muzzleloader when season opens again and wanted to take a deer with my bow and make some sausage and jerky in the 2 weeks in between.

I went to a stand on a very small piece of public ground bordering a wildlife refuge, I havent hunted it at all this year and its actually one of my buddys stands he said he hadnt seen much from.All the deer Ive seen have been entering and exiting the refuge about 1/4 mile down from the stand where theres no trees.

Long story short I sat in that stand untill 30 minutes before dark, I could see the entire property and it was very windy, nothing was moving at all.For some reason I kept thinking I should walk down to the corner all the deer went in and out of and sit for the last few minutes.I hadnt been down there all year, really didnt even know if there was anyplace to actually sit but I soon found myself climbing down and heading that direction.

I got there and found a busted up little pine tree whos branches were high enough to get in underneath with a little weed patch between the tree and where i figured the deer would come from.I climbed in there, nocked an arrow, and clipped my release back on.Honest to God it wasnt 30 seconds later when a nice fat little spike buck walked out of the weeds not 30 yrds from me.He looked around and walked another 10 yrds out in the open before turning broadside and giving me an easy 20 yrd shot.With about 10 minutes of light left and knowing I needed the meat if I wanted to get my stuff made in my down time I took the shot and he fell maybe 60 yrds from where he had first come out.

I sat there till dark and watched back towards my stand and never did see a deer move near it.While it wasnt a big deer do you ever get the feeling your in the wrong spot?Do you act on it or just sit tight and hope for the best?
Old 12-05-2011, 06:19 AM
Fork Horn

yup.

did it yesterday.

was sitting off a public soccer field but no teams were playing.....

late start ...sat at 3:15.

well at 3:50 a guy and two kids started play world cup 50 yards from me.

I got up, walked 600 yards to truck , got in , drove 2 minutes away to my usual spot.

now its 4-4:15.

4:30 .............2 deer......4.....6.............8.......10 !!!!!! ALL DOES THOUGH.
DAMN SPOT.

ANYWAY ....MOVEMENT OF DEER WAS BETTER THEN WATCHING A SOCCER PRACTICE