Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

good place to stand

Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 AM
Spike

Default good place to stand

I have a stand where red dot is sat in that one for 3 day morning and night have not seen nothing, just for hell of it i drove back in to field put spot light out there where talking 15 min after hunting hrs seen about 15 deer where dark blue is are field isAlfalfa..

I dont have a hunting blind or time to put a stand up I was wanting to know if be safe to sit by tree line where light blue dots are. if so how can i go uh seen. I will be muzleloading

Old 12-04-2011, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

If You were sitting where the red dot is and no Deer passed by You then they must be traveling and or bedding from the far end Your seeing them at?I'd set up a small ground blind in the tree line a little further left where You have the light blue dots...You don't want to be on top of the Deer if they are coming in at that far corner...the Muzzle Loader should reach out at that distance.....another area where the Deer may be coming out is to the far left corner of the woods on the left side of the light-blue dots just below the house.....if Your in the middle of that tree line You'll have a shot at a Deer from both sides?Take a limb and lean it up against a large tree and lean a few branches on the larger limb to hide your body line,cedar tree branches work even better since they stay green all year long.

Watch behind that line of tree's because the Deer could very well be slipping in behind those tree's to get out into the Alfalfa Field?

Last edited by GTOHunter; 12-04-2011 at 07:30 AM.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:53 AM
Fork Horn

Use a decoy !!! Stay right where you are . Just put it out far enough to see, and some horney buck will venture off to see who needs a little daddy !
Old 12-04-2011, 09:47 AM
Spike

i have no hunting blind
Old 12-04-2011, 09:05 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by stcspiderman
i have no hunting blind

Make one from from small branches or what ever is natural around the area.
Old 12-05-2011, 05:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Stand location

What is off to the lower right of your blue dots? Looks like orchard or low scrub.

There appears to be a lone tree in the mid right quadrant of your map, off to the left and up from your blue dots. About 500 feet from your alfalfa.

Seems to me this may be a good spot for one stand dependent on wind. Select two spots for a stand, one as suggested previously somewhere along the lower line of trees and that lone tree out there and select the stand according to wind direction from you to the deer.

I don't think the deer would be closer to human movement but I cannot see the entire area. Those trees may be the only cover for miles and if so, they will use it at night only.

On second thought, those deer may be coming along that tree line at the bottom. You may want to lace a stand closer to the left side of that tree line to catch them sneaking in early at dusk.

Good luck

Last edited by DeppedyDogg; 12-05-2011 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-06-2011, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Back off 100yds or so from the blue dots and park your butt on the ground at the base of a tree that is wider than you are, and don't move. They will never know you exist. I would pick either the treeline by your lighter dots or the vertical edge of the field, depending on wind direction. Good luck!