Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ? >

To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ?

Old 12-01-2011, 09:46 AM
Spike

Question To grunt or not to grunt...that is the ?

Hey guys just wondering.I live up in north western north carolina.Do bucks really come in to the grunt calls??I know they do on the TV shows just wondering if it is working for you guys that hunt close up to where i do.Do you grunt only when you see one??Or after you dont see anything for a while??What grunts work best?young deer,mature deer,tending grunt,etc...Thanks
Old 12-01-2011, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

Grunts will only work if a buck is close enough to hear and feels like going to it. I use it to get them closer, never had luck with randomly hitting it. I have had them respond but not come to me.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

i grunt, if that dont work i rattle..if that dont work bleet..usually one he will respond too....thats if i see him, and he is leaving only though. he didnt come in range, but got ta 60 er so from me, but i think he busted me.
Old 12-01-2011, 06:09 PM
Fork Horn

Same here. I've tried it when I didn't see anything with no luck. That may be because they weren't near by. This is my first year trying it and When I see them I have rattled and grunted a couple within 40 yards that I know of but theres been a couple more that I'm not sure that they would've came my way without it. I still haven't seen them charging in like they do on tv but I think that it works with some. I've also had them to just keep going like nothing ever happend.
Old 12-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Spike

I was wondering to if anybody ever had any luck with "the can" call primos makes...sounds like a doe in heat
Old 12-02-2011, 03:57 AM
Fork Horn

Default calls

Here in NC, leave the grunt home and carry the can
Old 12-02-2011, 04:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have had good luck using the can here in VA along the NC border. Know a few guys who claim to have rattled bucks in but I have never had such luck.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:24 AM
Fork Horn

I have had never been able to rattle anything in but I have had them come to my grunt call several times.
Old 12-03-2011, 05:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I have learned that grunting works the best during the Pre-Rut. Once the big boy establishes his area a lot of the bucks will come in but once they get their butt kicked by the big boy they ignore the call and are very skidish. If the stud is in the area he will acknowledge the call and come in for the challange. Doesn't always work but trying doesn't hurt.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I've had very good luck using a grunt tube. Both calling randomly and calling a buck in closer. Called a 10pt right to my stand on opening day of firearms season this year.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.