Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some advice

Old 11-28-2011, 02:29 PM
Typical Buck

Default Need some advice

This weekend I'm going to some national forest land in Central Alabama. I was wondering if any of yall have any tips or techniques for hunting public land.
The area im hunting has lots of big deer, but Im only gonna be there for 2 days. Any advice will be helpfull.
Old 11-28-2011, 02:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you "know" that the area has lots of big deer, find where the does are and set-up there.
Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 PM
Super Moderator

Go where its the hardest to get to spots, the hunting mass won't be there.
But the deer will.

Good Luck.
Old 11-29-2011, 05:37 AM
Spike

Need advice if you come across yellow snow dont eat it it aint a pop cycle....maybe a poop cylce but not a pop... have a good hunt and if you dont see nothin.....enjoy the hunt
Old 11-29-2011, 06:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default Helmet, Flack Jacket, etc

Be careful! Public land is where all the people who do not look at their rifle all year go. They have forgotten, if they ever knew, basic safety and consideration for other hunters.

Keep your back against a tree and make yourself very visible. Take a cell phone and good luck!

Get there early and go in further than you think anyone else will go. With luck, the orange army will drive deer right passed you.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:07 AM
Spike

So true Big, more people are shot on public land than anywhere else while hunting. I cant stress to my kids enough the importance of firearm safety. I had an issue with some dangerous people awhile back on public land....even if you don't see a vehicle anywhere along where you are going in at expect to see someone in the woods
Old 11-29-2011, 08:27 AM
Fork Horn

where you goin to fishinty?? I hunt in central bama myself and alot of the bucks are starting to get a lil frisky.. the does arent rele even close to bein rede but with good acorn crop across the southeast this year the bucks are healthy and rede to go.. ive been seein scrapes and rubs since opening day of bow season out there...
Alot of people are goin to say to get in there farther than everybody else and that is great advice but consider this.. if everyone else is tryin to do the same thing wouldnt that be counter productive??? You could try to find a good spot on the edge of the property and set up along there... alot of times the habitat is great for deer in the WMA's but they dont plant many food plots in them, however those who own the land around the area will try to draw deer off them by planting around the edges... catch those deer that are eating there, they will typically be less pressured.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:30 AM
Fork Horn

.... Also, stay off the powerlines and the cutovers... they look like a giant pumpkin patch on rifle hunt days in alabama..... youll see and orange hat every 200 yrds out there...