Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My biggest so far.  Any guesses on score? >

My biggest so far. Any guesses on score?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My biggest so far. Any guesses on score?

Old 11-24-2011, 06:48 AM
Fork Horn

Default My biggest so far. Any guesses on score?

Well, just finished my years rifle hunt in western Nebraska. It was probably my most frustrating and exciting hunt yet. On Saturday I spotted a nice 5x5 tailing a doe. I was high in the Sandhills and worked my way to a ridge line closer to him to take a shot. I got within a 100 yards and took a broadside shot. The buckjumped into steep gully with multiple ravines running down to the river bottom. These ravines are covered with think cedar. I knew I had made a good shot, most likely lungs, little ugh for the heart. Mi let him lay for about 30 mins before going after him. I got to the point where I saw him enter the gully and found bright red bubbly blod. I trailed blood for about 30 yards before it just stopped! I looked for this buck for nearly three hours before pulling out and going to get help. My father in law and I then looked until nearly dark, on our hands and knees climbing under cedars and thickets looking for this guy. Needless to say we never found him. It kills me to know he's probably laying dead u der some thicket somewhere...

The next day this brute was trailing a couple mule does. I gave him a rattle and he turned for my direction. After about 30 minutes he had made his way through a deep ravine and popped out at about 100 yards from me. I waited for him to turn broadside at 75 and placed the shot right behind his shoulders. It took a few bounds before disappearing I to the cover. I again waited and started to have worries of the same thing happening from a day earlier. After a half hour I went to where I shot him. There my buck was just 20 yards away. He had fallen just on the other side of the cedar tree out of my site. Here are the pics to my western Nebraska buck. Any one guess what he will score? He's at the taxidermist preparing to get put on my wall.

http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...70301682_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...09566807_n.jpg
Old 11-24-2011, 06:49 AM
Fork Horn

Here's another

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...19961128_n.jpg
Old 11-24-2011, 07:19 AM
Fork Horn

It is hard to say but he looks every bit over 140. Dang nice buck congrats.
Old 11-24-2011, 02:02 PM
Typical Buck

great deer, might be pushing 150". probably somewhere between 140-150 i would say. i would die to go out and hunt in the west like that. great buck and congrats!
Old 11-24-2011, 03:12 PM
Spike

Nice buck!
My guess is 144 gross; 18" spread, 24" beams, 4.5 inch circumference on the first three girths, 3 on the last, then the brows I guessed 3.5", then a 12" on one side and a 10" on the other, then two 8's. Net score is going to be very close to 140.
Ive scored hundreds of deer and that is top shelf. The best 8 I've ever scored netted 151.
Congrads
Old 11-24-2011, 03:28 PM
Fork Horn

Nice Indeed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Great picture, Doc

Old 11-24-2011, 09:07 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys. I am very lucky to be able to hunt my father in law's land and have the opportunity to hunt these big whitetails and mulies. I'm a little sad that the season is already over! I was also guessing right around the 140 mark.

Thanks again.
Old 11-25-2011, 06:04 AM
Fork Horn

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphot...19961128_n.jpg

This is the buck my cousin shot opening day. He was pretty darn excited to get this one as his third buck. Thought I'd just share the picture.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Mid 130's net
Old 11-27-2011, 04:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would guess low to mid 130's. Nice buck, congrats!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.