Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

243 vs 223

Old 11-23-2011, 07:05 PM
  #1  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: clermont fl
Posts: 38
Default 243 vs 223

I was looking for a rifle and i found one its a rossi single shot im torn between 223 243 and 44 mag i hunt deer....im 15 and i hate a gun that kicks so i dont want 308 30.06 i would like 44 but what is my effective range?
BIGBUCKDOWN15 is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 07:49 PM
  #2  
Spike
 
Mt.Man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Upstate NY
Posts: 82
Default

probably under 100 yards more like 75 for the 44 mag. Go for the .243
Mt.Man is offline  
Old 11-23-2011, 08:30 PM
  #3  
Nontypical Buck
 
halfbakedi420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: central and east texas
Posts: 4,894
Default

when my 13 year old daughter was 8 she was shooting this same rossi single shot 223 with 55 grain rem...(now we use the 64 gr cause they group better)...my 8 year old now shoots it.
my oldest shot it out to 282(she remembers lol) yards no problem...i use it out a lil past 450 myself, and know guys who shoot over 600 yards with it.
223 is gonna kick less than a 243. a 243 doesnt kick that hard, but more than a 223. the 44 mag i dunno..
it takes time and dedication to shoot good, so because RR can go and shoot 1000 yards, dont mean you will tomorrow, but could someday.
for my daughters, I find it that if you would just go shoot a box of yer dads 30-06, it will make the 243 and especially the 223 seem to kick alot less....
maybe just hamburger yer arm 1 day, and i think you will find the 223 to kick like a 22lr.

Last edited by halfbakedi420; 11-23-2011 at 08:33 PM.
halfbakedi420 is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 AM
  #4  
Typical Buck
 
Sfury's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Wisconsin
Posts: 970
Default

.44 is a 100 yards or under gun for most people. To shoot reliably after that distance requires more practice.

A .223 kicks less, but requires you to be a better shot. It's a lightweight, but effective, round.

A .243 really does not kick much either. It's really a mild recoiling round even using the heavier rounds (90-100 grains) for whitetail.

I've personally hunted with a .44 rifle for many years. It's an effective round to take deer. However, my Father has used a .270 and a .243 to take deer while I used his .44 and the difference in the distance the deer travels before death is much less with a well placed shot.

Of the calibers you have mentioned, you should go with the .243 for deer hunting. It's the most versatile round of the ones you mentioned.
Sfury is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 05:39 AM
  #5  
Fork Horn
 
Horacio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: San Antonio, TX
Posts: 246
Default

On a tangent: the place I am currerntly working sells the Rossi single shots and I am considering the .223 for my daughters to target shoot and take pot shots at hogs. How are they in terms of quality?
Horacio is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 07:23 AM
  #6  
Nontypical Buck
 
halfbakedi420's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: central and east texas
Posts: 4,894
Default

ya know horacio, i was worried, but after the deer drop one after another in their tracks with 8 y/o shooting, i dont swet it anymore..and we went from 45g to 64g bullets and they dont effin go anywhere...the upside down leg crawl contest lol
halfbakedi420 is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 01:57 PM
  #7  
Typical Buck
 
huntingkidPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 872
Default

a 44 mag rifle would be good. max range out to 100. a .243 is also a great option with a lot more range. you could also look into a 25-06 which is very similar to a 243. but i think a 30-30 would be great for you. they don't have much recoil at all and is a legendary deer gun. that and the 30-06 have probably killed more deer than any other caliber, plus 30-30 ammo is so cheap and you can find it ANYWHERE. but if i were you i would look into getting a 243, or a 30-30
huntingkidPA is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:34 PM
  #8  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: clermont fl
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
a 44 mag rifle would be good. max range out to 100. a .243 is also a great option with a lot more range. you could also look into a 25-06 which is very similar to a 243. but i think a 30-30 would be great for you. they don't have much recoil at all and is a legendary deer gun. that and the 30-06 have probably killed more deer than any other caliber, plus 30-30 ammo is so cheap and you can find it ANYWHERE. but if i were you i would look into getting a 243, or a 30-30
i have 350 can you help me to find a 30 30 that i can get and a scope like do you have any suggestions i was going to ask rr but hes never on
BIGBUCKDOWN15 is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 02:46 PM
  #9  
Typical Buck
 
huntingkidPA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Pennsylvania
Posts: 872
Default

Originally Posted by BIGBUCKDOWN15
i have 350 can you help me to find a 30 30 that i can get and a scope like do you have any suggestions i was going to ask rr but hes never on
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...rfire/336C.asp

^marlins line of lever 336. there are a couple models. to check out the other look on the side tool bar and it says "model 336 centerfire rifles" and you can check out different models

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=003C

^ link to winchester model 94's. i see more people carrying and hunting witth marlin 336's, ive only shot a marlin though. both are great guns. alot of people here can probably give you info on the 94 and 336.

i think all of them are now side ejection so scope can be done on all models recently made. i havent looked into them enough to see if any come with rails or are drilled and tapped, most probably are drilled and tapped so all you have to do is get a rail and put it on, then mount your scope. (just looked on 336's, they are tapped for scopes.)
huntingkidPA is offline  
Old 11-24-2011, 03:11 PM
  #10  
Spike
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: clermont fl
Posts: 38
Default

Originally Posted by huntingkidPA
http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firear...rfire/336C.asp

^marlins line of lever 336. there are a couple models. to check out the other look on the side tool bar and it says "model 336 centerfire rifles" and you can check out different models

http://www.winchesterguns.com/produc...sp?family=003C

^ link to winchester model 94's. i see more people carrying and hunting witth marlin 336's, ive only shot a marlin though. both are great guns. alot of people here can probably give you info on the 94 and 336.

i think all of them are now side ejection so scope can be done on all models recently made. i havent looked into them enough to see if any come with rails or are drilled and tapped, most probably are drilled and tapped so all you have to do is get a rail and put it on, then mount your scope. (just looked on 336's, they are tapped for scopes.)
now what are those running for scope and everything? like i said i only have 350 i was going to get a rossi 243 and a cheap scope for around that price
BIGBUCKDOWN15 is offline  

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.