Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

wisconsin hunt

Old 11-21-2011, 05:24 AM
Spike

Default wisconsin hunt

Hey everyone, just had a quick question/favor to ask the Wisconsin hunters. I will be visiting the Milwaukee area for Christmas at the in-laws (Yippee) lol, and have always wanted to hunt there but don't have any idea where to go. My mother in law says to go to the public land, however she doesn't really know where...go figure. Anyways, it would be awesome if I could just get away from the madness for a day or two and hunt the great state while im there so if anyone has it in their hearts to open up their hunting land for me I would be very greatful and very respectable. Also any other suggestions would be very much appreciated as well. Thanks Wisconsin!
Old 11-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Spike

Anyone got anything?
Old 11-22-2011, 06:21 AM
Fork Horn

To be honest, public land in WI...especially near a major city...is a huge pain in the ass during gun season. Way too many hunters, half of whom barely know their way around the woods. I refuse to hunt public land in WI during gun season for this reason (much better to bow hunt it before the orange army descends). Unless you're willing to brave (and put up with) those types of conditions, you're probably out of luck.
Old 11-22-2011, 10:24 AM
Fork Horn

I've never hunted too "near" Milwaukee, but here are m thoughts:

I've heard of Bong recreation area near Kenosha, which I believe is hunt able but may be a zoo for the gun season. I don't know, I've never been there.

The other thing, which is more near where I used to hunt, is the white River public hunting ground, but it's probably going to take just a hair over 2 hours to get there. It's near Princeton, WI. I believe it's like 10,000 acres or something. We used to hunt there when my our land would get slow.
Old 11-23-2011, 09:10 AM
Spike

Are you hunting the holiday gun season hunt or the late bow season during x-mas week?
Old 11-23-2011, 05:17 PM
Spike

I would much rather hunt with my bow, which is why the public land is kind of unappealing. Plus I'm not exactly sure what the laws are against transporting a muzzleloader across Wisconsin lines. Being a former Deputy Sheriff I am a little more cautious about that kinda stuff lol.
Old 11-25-2011, 02:48 AM
Spike

You could try Kettle Morraine State Park southern unit. It's about an hour west of Milwaukee. I hunted there last muzzleloader season, as well as the late gun season. I only saw one other hunter during muzzleloader, and just a few other hunters during the late gun season. I didn't see any deer either, but if you just want to get out and be in the woods, it's a good place.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:14 AM
Fork Horn

You wont have a problem with muzzleloaders unless idiot chicago has a problem with them too. Public land in Southern Wis is a joke come the gun season. You can hunt in the Kettle Moraine North unit as well as south. Not much to hunt though, more like just sitting in the woods than hunting. I live 10 mi. from Kettle Moraine and have not hunted it in 4 years. Bow is out until Monday. Then it starts back up.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:46 PM
Spike

Well, ive found a couple places to bowhunt on some family farms around the meqoun area so that's the plus... Now I'm kinda confused on the licensing procedures. As a nonresident, do I have to take the hunter safety course before i can buy a license? Or am I good to go since I've held a license previously?
Old 11-30-2011, 09:20 PM
Spike

I beleive you are good to go seems how you have purchased one previously. My Uncle went there last year and wondered the same thing but he bought a tag without taking the course.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.