Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

lost a doe today

Old 11-20-2011, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default lost a doe today

Was doing a stalking hunt this morning one of my favorite things to do with rifle. Saw a doe about 60 yards in front of me and raised my rifle for the shot. I took the shot she hit the ground then stood up and took off. When arriving to the spot there was enough hair on the ground to fill a pillow case. Unfortunately all white hair some with fat in it and some with meat in it. Found zero blood and tracked for hours to no prevail. Once I gave up went to the barn and discovered my scope was out. Sighted it in and hope to never experience that again. Been hunting a long time and honestly thats the first deer I have ever wounded and lost.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Fork Horn

Sounds like a brisket hit, not a good time to find out your guns off.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM
Fork Horn

yea unfortunately i ride a quad to the area I hunt because I dont really enjoy walking through eighteen inches of water in the creek and the bumps play hell with scopes. I make sure the gun is in before every season but was off all week this week to hunt and made that trip seven days in a row. Gun was shooting two inches low and left at 50 yards. Sucks to lose the meat but sucks more to wound an animal without harvesting it.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:18 PM
Fork Horn

Might need to go in and tighten all of the screws on your rings and bases to help combat the scope rattling off target.

Last edited by westtexducks; 11-20-2011 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:24 PM
Fork Horn

I did and its funny cause I have leupold base and rings and a leupold vx3 scope kinda strange they wiggle at all cause I dont like go dogging with my gun on the quad. Its very aggravating. Does this sound like a brisket shot though cause I thought they would bleed at first with a brisket shot. And all I found was white hair with chunks of fat and meat, no blood.