Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need some advice, tracking in the rain? >

Need some advice, tracking in the rain?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some advice, tracking in the rain?

Old 02-05-2015, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Check the date of that thread, it is 4 years old, no response since 2011.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Four years ago; wonder if he's still hunting

Maybe we're too nice to fellow hunters. Maybe some go for years and just assume they're going to have to track a deer or have to track them far .
Maybe some really downgrade the necessity of practice, practice, practice.

My hunting career would have ended years ago, if I ever assumed I never needed practice. I learned in swamps and hardly had time to learn swamp hunting. Practice before the hunt was more important than the hunt. There was no time to assume I was a good enough hunter. I learned accurate shooting; where on the anatomy of a deer to get an instant kill shot. There are some shots approved by some, I still don't make.

My first tracking was on an archery shot deer. I knew I made a good shot. Knew the deer should have been 50 to 100 yards away. Not 300 yards.
When it was the place of last sighting, I took a compass reading. I didn't look for a blood trail in the thick brush; I looked for a whole deer. I stayed on the original compass reading and found the whole deer fifty yards away. At one point I couldn't see the stand or the location of the deer. I found the deer then some fifteen yards later. It was laying in some thick brush.

Practice, practice, practice had payed off. Never did need a trailing dog. My requirements were tougher. I never sought an easy way. Never hunted an easy way.

Last edited by Valentine; 02-06-2015 at 04:44 AM.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Rifle season in md a lot of times means rain... I still hunt unless it's raining it ash off... I haven't had a deer run much farther than 50 yards after taking a round threw the shoulder
Old 02-06-2015, 06:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Check the date of that thread, it is 4 years old, no response since 2011.
Isn't it amazing how a newbie can come on this site and go back in the archives to bring back a dead thread that is 4 years old and sometimes a lot older! I wonder why that is when there is plenty of current stuff within the first couple pages on each Forum. Maybe they do a search for a certain topic like this rain deal and when something pops up they don't even look to see the thread dates and the OP may be dead, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 02-06-2015 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 02-06-2015, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Isn't it amazing how a newbie can come on this site and go back in the archives to bring back a dead thread that is 4 years old and sometimes a lot older! I wonder why that is when there is plenty of current stuff within the first couple pages on each thread. Maybe they do a search for a certain topic like this rain deal and when something pops up they don't even look to see the thread dates and the OP may be dead, LOL!
guess he'll be difficult to track in the rain then..
Old 02-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Drop em where they are standing, and your problem is solved.
Old 02-06-2015, 04:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Exactly the same with less room for error.
Old 02-07-2015, 02:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

if he is still tracking the deer after 4 years I can say at least two things.
{1. was a real bad shot.
{should know what he is doing by now if he is still tracking that deer.

Al
Old 02-11-2015, 09:04 PM
Spike

I wonder if it rained, that day?
Old 10-12-2015, 01:15 AM
Spike

unless its a pouring rain or poor shot/minimal blood it shouldn't be a big deal........wet leaves can sometimes actually help show contrast whether its blood, actual tracks, grass disturbance or a deer outline laying in the forest.....as someone mentioned earlier try a dog ...people don't realize most dogs naturally want to track fresh sign/fresh blood ....an untrained dog will often follow a fresh trail and lead you to your deer. Jus tkeep in mind they will also disturb and overturn leaves in the process so use it as last resort

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.