Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How would you hunt this?

Old 11-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Fork Horn

Default How would you hunt this?

I found a new hunting area that buts up against soybean and corn fields that are privately owned. The area is about 30 acres (wildlife management areas) but is all about 6-10 high "stick brush". You can walk through it as guys hunt rabbits in there. I talked with a couple of the rabbit hunters and they said they bump 4-5 big bucks while chasing rabbits. I have seen one of them when it was bumped but headed out onto the soy bean field. The guys told me they bed in there and they have seen them cross the corn and soy bean fields to get in there. I was thinking what if I went in there and cut several trails or set up ambush points? Has anyone ever hunted an area similar to this? Or perhaps used a similar tactic. I don't think it would be open enough for a ground blind. But I would have to think that you could get in there before the deer bed and set up perpendicular to a trail.....etc, etc..... It is a bedding area so is it off limits?
Old 11-19-2011, 09:48 PM
Fork Horn

How often do these guys go rabbit hunting and bump the deer? You may have no problem with it because they are so use to havein human encounters... if you can find the trails theyare using for escape routes that would probly work to... just look for any ditches, low spots, less thick areas where it would be easier for them to run, etc. then find out when those guys are goin rabbit hunting and be in your stand; it would be similiar to runnin dogs. In a lot of cases alot of deer, especially bucks, like to use the same escape routes over and over again because it has worked in the past.