Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How consistently/often do bucks tend scrapes? >

How consistently/often do bucks tend scrapes?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How consistently/often do bucks tend scrapes?

Old 11-17-2011, 04:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default How consistently/often do bucks tend scrapes?

I know there are a lot of variables. Tonight I witnessed a nice 6 point tending a scrape while I was hunting a swamp. Never seen a scrape being tended before. Very cool. Yet strange. Anyway, I was going to take him during the narrow shot opportunity I had. But, of course, my scope lens fogged up on me just as I was about to pull the trigger, so I had to lay off.

Needless to say, I was ticked, but now I want that buck really badly! But, I don't think I want to hunt that spot all day tomorrow. After a very hard all-day hunt in very crappy weather (lots of rain and wind), he was the only action I saw, and he didn't come in until around 4:45.

Is it wishful thinking to plan to hunt another area, and then return to the swamp around 2ish to see if he shows up at the same time? Tomorrow is the last day before the gun opener on Saturday. Who knows what that buck will do after the orange army marches in.
Old 11-17-2011, 04:44 PM
Fork Horn

Depends on the buck and scrape type/location..
I've had a cam hung on an active scrape for almost 3 weeks, there are regulars that come every day/couple of days.
Then there are bucks that have only visited once.

I'd hunt it again if I were you.

Last edited by onion721; 11-17-2011 at 04:47 PM.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

The real question is, when will THAT buck be back...The only way to know is to hang a camera...Bucks have primary and secondary scrapes...Some get made and never revisited, others get checked more often...

For what it's worth, bucks also come in down wind to check without actually going to the scrape...They can smell that good, so many sit 70 yards or so down wind of the scrape hoping he will pass between them and the scrape...Good Luck...