Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps >

3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps

Old 11-14-2011, 11:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Smile 3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps

Started my vacation Thursday and got out with my bow that afternoon looking for my nice 8 pointer. Gun opener was coming up Saturday so I hoped to take him before then,but it was not to be. Saw him after a hot Doe and tried to narrow the gap on Friday,still 125 yards out no bow shot for sure. Got above his rub line and scrapes gun opener with the hope of getting him with my ML. He never showed and I fear he was heading toward me but may have gotten wacked by several guys who were above me and south of me. The day was not lost though,I took a nice fat Doe home to fill the freezer with some good table fare a few miles away at a friends place. He shot his first Buck ever hunting,a 205 lb. 10 pointer a good looking stud. I shot my Doe from the same stand after being there 15 minutes.Pictures below in order.My fat Doe,Brians first Deer ever a nice 10 point Buck which weighed 205 .The biggest Buck I have seen harvested with my own eyes in Crawford County IN as well as 2 others that were getting checked in at Gun World in Corydon IN. Enjoy!
Attached Thumbnails 3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps-downsized_1112111718.jpg   3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps-imagejpeg952-brians-buck.jpg   3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps-downsized_1112111714.jpg   3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps-downsized_1112111717.jpg   3 Days No Buck But A Fat Doe Helps-downsized_1112111716.jpg  

Last edited by doetrain; 11-15-2011 at 11:58 AM.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

That's progress, good job.
Old 11-15-2011, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by UncleNorby
That's progress, good job.
Thanks UncleNorby,I was really down a few weeks ago for different reasons and got to the point where I thought about giving up. But with some encouragement and challenging comments got back in the saddle and got the desires burning again. I have passed on two small Bucks since my post about 5 days ago and several small Does. I'm going after a decent Buck starting tomarrow when this heavy rain is done. Take care and Good Hunting!
Old 11-15-2011, 09:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

So DT, has this helped your morale and your drive to hunt? I recall a thread you started where you said you were losing your passion.

Congrats on a fine doe.

P.S. Do you not have a dedicated ML season? Or does gun season come first and you are electing to use your ML?
Old 11-15-2011, 12:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO
So DT, has this helped your morale and your drive to hunt? I recall a thread you started where you said you were losing your passion.

Congrats on a fine doe.

P.S. Do you not have a dedicated ML season? Or does gun season come first and you are electing to use your ML?
We have a dedicated ML season starting December the 3rd. through the 18th. I choose to use my ML for gun season as well over a shotgun or 44mag. single shot rifle which is now legal in Indiana. And yes my passion and morale have returned full bore. Taking a break helped me get refocused about hunting and keeping it all in perspective. Thanks for asking.
Old 11-15-2011, 12:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by 7.62NATO

Congrats on a fine doe.

We have a dedicated ML season starting December the 3rd. through the 18th. I choose to use my ML for gun season as well over a shotgun or 44mag. single shot rifle which is now legal in Indiana. And yes my passion and morale have returned full bore. Taking a break helped me get refocused about hunting and keeping it all in perspective. Thanks for asking.

Last edited by doetrain; 11-15-2011 at 04:38 PM.
Old 11-15-2011, 05:49 PM
dpv
Typical Buck

Those are some nice looking deer. An idea how much that doe weighed?
Old 11-16-2011, 03:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by dpv
Those are some nice looking deer. An idea how much that doe weighed?
She had to be at least 130 lbs. I could not get her in the truck by myself,so my buddy helped me and she still felt heavy with him helping. I've got a bad wrist and shoulder so that is why 130 lbs. is hard for me to lift above my waist. The picture makes her look like she is 150 plus due to the angle,she was a good one but not a giant by any means.