Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
How to pull a nocturnal buck out of cover? >

How to pull a nocturnal buck out of cover?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How to pull a nocturnal buck out of cover?

Old 11-09-2011, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

Default How to pull a nocturnal buck out of cover?

I have a very nice 10 point coming out at night chasing doe and eating corn at my feeder.
I get pictures of his almost every night, and he recently made a HUGE scrape about 20 yards away from my game camera.
My feeder is on the edge of about 100 acres of thick heavy cover that I suspect he's bedding in.
Does anyone have any ideas on how to pull him out of that heavy cover during daylight?
Rattling maybe? Thought about placing doe estrus soaked cotton balls along the edge of the heavy cover.

Anyone had a similar situation with a "night time only" buck that you go to come out during shooting hours?

Any input would be appreciated...

SCHOOLCRAFT
Old 11-09-2011, 05:00 PM
Fork Horn

We have so many deer that get shot, or shot at during muzzle loading season in this area that by the time rifle season comes around most of the deer are nocturnal. Sitting in a stand I've yet to find a way to get them to come out other than just waiting, and it's rare during rifle season that we see bucks come out.

In this area, lots of guys hunt with dogs, and they will run them out, but it's about your only chance of seeing a big buck into rifle season around here.
Old 11-09-2011, 07:41 PM
Fork Horn

Only put feed out near opening time or closing time. None at night. That's what I've read elsewhere on this subject. Otherwise a very slow stalk to where you "think" he is bedding? We have a 10 point (22" inside spread) HUGE bodied buck bedding right by the marsh where we park the cars. The bowhunters park the cars, he runs away, they go to their stands and he comes back and is there again. One of the guys got within 100 yards of him and spent FIVE hours sneaking up the rest of the way with the buck continuously looking in his direction. He got within 15 feet of him and the buck got up. He shot it in the shoulder but no penetration and the deer crossed the road and went into the neighbor's field. He saw the buck reach around and pull the arrow out with his teeth. He went over and got his arrow and their was no lung on in and little blood so the deer should be fine.
Old 11-10-2011, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Looks as if the doe go into heat for about two days. If you think there is a hot doe, sit it out all day. That is the only thing that I have seen will bring them out. Even so, I think if the buck was shot once during his life, he may not let his testosterone override his brain.
Old 11-11-2011, 08:05 AM
Fork Horn

You could try a decoy, and calling. Perhaps hunt the edge of a thicket or wherever you think he may be hiding out during daylight.
Old 11-11-2011, 06:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

Kill'm in his bed.

Crank up the stealth.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:37 PM
Typical Buck

Get out of the box blind and hunt closer to where his bed is...
Old 11-12-2011, 05:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Wait for a real dark night with a lot of cloud cover or no moon. Be there very early the next morning.

Last edited by Colorado Luckydog; 11-12-2011 at 05:35 PM.