Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
My Mossberg 500 Treestand / Home Defense 12ga. >

My Mossberg 500 Treestand / Home Defense 12ga.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Mossberg 500 Treestand / Home Defense 12ga.

Old 11-05-2011, 11:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default My Mossberg 500 Treestand / Home Defense 12ga.

I usually use my TC Omega .50 during the firearms season here in Indiana. However, I found a few boxes of slugs I didn't realize I had. So this year I think I'll use the Mossberg for firearm season. I set it up with a Tasco ProPoint reddot scope I had laying around. Also has a Hogue Rubberized 12" LOP stock and 18-1/2" barrel with accu-choke. I've yet to use the scope....though it appears like new still. Only paid $20 or $30 on Ebay a few years back. Tasco website says it can be used on shotguns.... it will be intersting to find out because of high recoil from a 12ga shooting slugs. I did notice these scopes are not as cheap as some of the others out there. Hopefully it will perform well enough . It has a real small moa dot which I like. I only have MODIFIED choke tubes for my barrels, so I hope I can shoot the Remington Slugger rifled slugs through it.
I haven't used a shotgun to deer hunt in years.... but I hunt close ranges so I figured it would be a change of pace this year. Ill still get to use the ML's for ML season.

Last edited by Buckhunter46755; 11-05-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:02 PM
Typical Buck

I've got the Mossberg as well; here I had to limit the magazine capacity to 3 in the field...never took a deer but I did use it on a few hogs I've raised; a rottweiler slug to the skull put them down almost instantly.
From shooting mine w/ the bead sight- under 50 yds was a reliable shot w/ those rifled slugs.
Old 11-06-2011, 03:26 PM
Spike

I've got the mossberg 500 has well w/the 18 1/2" bbl open cylinder. It was fine at close ranges, but never seemed to pattern well.

Maybe w/the mod cylinder you will have better luck consistency than I did. I ended up getting a slug bbl for it and it was a huge improvement. Good luck this year!