Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

My Daughters FIRST Deer

Old 11-01-2011, 07:11 PM
Spike

Default My Daughters FIRST Deer

A couple weeks ago I wrote a story on my sons first deer. Today I am writing about my daughters first deer. Hannah is 13 years old and has never deer hunted a day in her life till this past Saturday. God has sure blessed me and my family this year. This past Saturday October 29, 2011 it was Youth Day Deer Season. My daughter has been begging me to take her hunting. I bought her very first rifel, a Savage Edge in 7mm-08 in February and we began looking forward to season. I took her and my sons rifles and sighted them in Last Thursday and they shot them Thursday eve. after school. She was so excited and hit her targets with ease. I even had to teach her how to shoulder the rifle and get her cheek down on the stock. She wanted to stay and shoot till dark... Not enough money for that. Saturday comes and we pack up the truck and head for the mountains. Papaw let Hannah and me out and we began making our way down the ridge. After 10 minutes I noticed 3 does feeding about 50 yards under the ridge on a side hill. If it had been you or me we could have made a shot on one of them. However, being her first time and knowing she wouldn't know what I meant by picking a spot of opening and sending the bullet through it, I had her hold off and watch them with hopes they would turn up hill towards us and give her a better shot. Unfortunately they didn't. They fed downhill. She never got impatient or frustrated. She hang on to every point and word of teaching I gave her. It was cold and snowing. I was worried she was getting cold and I was continually asking her. She said No. She was determined. Well we gradually hunted our way to the highest point on the ridge and stopped by a large oak tree to settle down and watch. Within 5 minutes I noticed a nice deer about 70 yards down hill. I got her attention and positioned her in the spot to make a shot. She bravely shouldered the rifle. No shot, no shot, no shot. I told her to shoot. She couldn't find the deer in the scope. I reach up and placed my hand on barrel and directed it in right direction. She anxiously made out her target and squeezed the trigger. The Buck jumped with the legendary heart kick , landed on its head and flip flopped down the mountain. She began crying, " Did I get it Daddy?" I said yes baby you got it good. Her shot broke the front fore shoulder, travelled through the heart and broke the offside shoulder, then turned down the deers side and unzipped it. After tracking it down, it was still trying to get up and I had her finish it with one shot to the lungs. Bam! she done it. We began to rejoice. I kissed her cheek, told her how proud I was of her and we began high fiving! She made me proud! She is now a full fledged broken in lifetime deer hunter. Daddy's little girl hunter. Here is a picture of her with her trophy. Thanks guys.
Attached Thumbnails My Daughters FIRST Deer-hannahs-buck-2011-color-enhanced-4.jpg  
Old 11-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

That's a really cool story.... priceless!
Old 11-02-2011, 03:13 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats Hannah. That is the way to do it. You done a great job.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good job Dad in preparing them and then pointing them in the right direction and teaching them patience.It looks like another successful hunt and generation of hunters is being brought up.
Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats to you and your children for a job well done. THese are moments you will always remember.

My daughter liked to shoot but did not want to hunt. I envy you. The future holds many great times.
Old 11-02-2011, 09:44 AM
Typical Buck

Way to go girl. Congrats on a fine deer and that will be something you will never forget. Great Job Hannah Way to go DAD.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:57 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the first deer, and a buck at that!! Always happy to hear when young ones are introduced to this wonderful sport..er..life style we call hunting. Great story to boot.
Old 11-02-2011, 02:32 PM
Typical Buck

Good job.. Love to c the youth out hunting.. thanks for posting