Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How many deer??

Old 10-24-2011, 07:53 AM
Typical Buck

Default How many deer??

I know this is a loaded question, however I was just wondering what everyone else thought. What percentage of deer (mainly mature bucks) do you think you have not seen in your lifetime while hunting? I'm talking about because either he winded you and took a different route, saw you before you saw him and slipped by(or around) you, or you were just looking the other way when he went by. I know there is really no way of telling exactly how many but I imagine in my lifetime of hunting, several mature deer have gotten by me without me seeing it. I just think about crap like this when I'm on the stand for hours on end. Have a great Monday

VA
Old 10-24-2011, 07:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

for sure 100% of them lol
Old 10-24-2011, 08:45 AM
Fork Horn

In my area, I say a good 65%...theres alot of good swamp around that they can and will hide in when rifle season comes around. I just found a nice 8pt. set of sheds from last year while grouse hunting....and the neighbor has seen 2 big bucks on his section of land so hopefully one ventures its way into my cross hairs!
Old 10-24-2011, 08:58 AM
Fork Horn

Default mature Buck

I was somewhat shocked to learn of some of the mature bucks in my hunting areas once the cameras went up. I thought I had my thumb on the deer on the property but I was wrong.
What I have found is that the mature bucks are that way for a reason. They are usually in a really protected place or a highly visible place where they can know thier surroundings at all times.
Recently discovered that a very large buck that I have chased for three years was actually bedding 25 yards from my entrance and exit point to the property.
Old 10-24-2011, 09:52 AM
Typical Buck

I would say that as many deer as you see, and at least an equal number detect you and avoid you.

There are plenty of times I just barely catch a glimps of a deer, and if I hadn't been looking in that exact spot and that exact moment I never would have seen it. At least twice last season I saw deer slowly creeping towards me over 80 yards away through dense cover, and then they pause for a little while and turn around and walk back the way they came. I hunt in a lot of areas where the deer move in all directions and you have to watch 360 degrees around you.