Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
always had a thing for deer hide >

always had a thing for deer hide

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

always had a thing for deer hide

Old 10-23-2011, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default always had a thing for deer hide

I am trying to brain tan my own hide if it works out im going to do it to all my deer and any other peoples that dont want there hides.any tips appreciated.I salted it down and it got real wet i scraped it all back down and re salted it is this a good idea do i want to draw out all that moisture before starting the tanning?
Old 10-26-2011, 05:36 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by blackhawk_archery
I am trying to brain tan my own hide if it works out im going to do it to all my deer and any other peoples that dont want there hides.any tips appreciated.I salted it down and it got real wet i scraped it all back down and re salted it is this a good idea do i want to draw out all that moisture before starting the tanning?
How did it go?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hope that's not your OWN hide.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:08 PM
Typical Buck

Its working so far hasnt rotted anyway,what do you mean my own hide?
Old 10-28-2011, 09:08 AM
Fork Horn

I've had 4 hides done that I salt cured before shipping off to a tanery. I always use so much salt that it looks like it snowed on it, then prop up one end of the board and rest the other on newspapers to collect the juices that will come out for the first few days. Leave that on for a few days and scrape it off, remove anymore flesh I might have missed and resalt until dry.

I've got 5 more hides in the basement from last year, salt cured only. Never sent them off to get tanned. I was going to have a jacket made until I found out what it was going to cost...YIKES! I could 3 or 4 damn nice leather jackets for what it ends up. (About $650-$700!)
Old 11-01-2011, 07:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

You know, like the one you're wearing. Just a joke, wasn't questioning ownership.