Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

safe to eat?

Old 10-19-2011, 12:36 PM
Fork Horn

Question safe to eat?

I have some meat from my friend where the arrow passed through the guts and then into the hind quarter. We tried to wash most of it out, but the meat is still discolored in some spots. Just wondering if this is safe to eat or should I just throw it out?

And while youre at it, recipes for a good roast would be nice
Old 10-19-2011, 12:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

i dunno..ask the gut shot experts...i wouldnt eat it if its the hind 1/4 ya got there...i cant imagine eating something thats been marinading in feces for how ever long it may be...its a judge ment call...cut off whats good and chunk what aint...then have a blindfold contest, and see if anyone call smell the chit in the meat?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:03 PM
Fork Horn

Well, what about cutting out the funky spots the same as you would blood spots?
Old 10-19-2011, 01:15 PM
Fork Horn

When in doubt throw it out.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:21 PM
Nontypical Buck

The meat will be safe to eat. Any gut material should have been washed out when the meat was cleaned. The discolored meat is probably from the deer bleeding through arrow wound itself. If you want to remove the discolored spots, it won't hurt anything. Absolutely worst case scenario is that the meat might have an "off" flavor. It will not hurt you.
Old 10-19-2011, 01:46 PM
Fork Horn

I'd eat it...

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0%2C16...4192%2C00.html
Old 10-20-2011, 03:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

The nose knows.
Old 10-20-2011, 06:13 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

It is most likely safe if it cooled properly, but cut out as much of the affected meat as possible. And you will want to specially mark your packages, in case it tastes bad. Even with a little bad taste, it might be good enough for chile. Washing it might not have been the best thing to do - better to let the blood clean it out and cut out affected areas. I had a gut shot deer years back that I washed as you did - it had a pretty strong taste, but it was edible.