Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Mock scrape ?

Old 10-17-2011, 08:22 AM
Spike

Default Mock scrape ?

Do bucks only make scrapes on the outside edges of woods or will they make them deeper in the woods also?
Old 10-17-2011, 08:43 AM
Fork Horn

From my observation, younger bucks scrape on field edges.

And yes, you should find scrape lines through the timber.
Old 10-17-2011, 09:26 AM
Fork Horn

I've got lots of trail cam pictures showing multiple bucks utilizing the same scrape (big and small). I've got scrapes in the woods and on field edges and the pictures come from both. When you find a scrape that is really ripped open, there will more than likely be several bucks using it. If it's a small scrape that isn't hit very often it is more than likely a singular buck or maybe two. Field edges tend to be hit more at night, but I do have pictures showing daytime use, usually early morning. All of the bucks in the pictures worked the same scrape on a field edge. There were probably four or five other bucks that have worked it as well.
Attached Thumbnails Mock scrape ?-pict0009.jpg   Mock scrape ?-pict0024.jpg   Mock scrape ?-pict0057.jpg   Mock scrape ?-pict0072.jpg  
Old 10-17-2011, 11:41 AM
Fork Horn

I usaully make mock scrapes with active scrape scent for my trail cameras.

They will make a scrape about anywhere I have personally seen them do it right in front of my tree stand.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:13 PM
Spike

Thanks for the replies