Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

UNLOAD Those Guns ! ! !

Old 10-18-2011, 12:28 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sachiko
Comfort the FATHER?

How do you comfort the MOTHER?

They obviously don't live together. She sends her child off to go hunting with dad, and he brings her back a dead child.

And this is not an accident. It's negligent homicide. The father should do prison time for manslaughter.
The father has created his own "prison" which, will last forever. This was the result of negligence, but not criminal in my opinion. There was no "intent". It was an accident.

I have a friend that shot himself due to multiple safety oversights. He survived but again, it was an accident.
Old 10-18-2011, 12:51 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Bullets
The father has created his own "prison" which, will last forever. This was the result of negligence, but not criminal in my opinion. There was no "intent". It was an accident.

I have a friend that shot himself due to multiple safety oversights. He survived but again, it was an accident.
If "accident" was a defense to criminal charges, our prisons would be a lot less crowded.

Exercising poor muzzle such that a loaded gun is pointed at a child is inexcusible, and is about as much of an "accident" is someone who drives with a blindfold on and ends up running over a pedestrian.
Old 10-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Fatality from a Mechanical Device

Been happening since time just about began. In all my time that is true. And its up to each of us to know how something works, how it's dangerous, use it safely, and avoid accidents.

And it doesn't stop me from using loaded firearms, six foot ladders, tree stands, vehicles that go over sixty miles an hour, explosive material, limb taking saws, and all the assorted things I've used in my life.

I just try to maintain a healthy attitude about dangerous devices. And in no way can I force others to do likewise or at the same level, even if they suffer grievously.
Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Typical Buck

I don't feel any sympathy for the Father. Guns don't just go off.

This was extreme negligence. Not following the 4 rules of gun safety has some very serious consequences. Which was a lesson learned in the worst possible of ways. The school of hard knocks doesn't always hurt the person learning the lesson.

I'm sorry the child was the one who paid the price, and I am sorry for the pain the rest of his family has to deal with.
Old 10-20-2011, 10:46 AM
Fork Horn

Notwithstanding my somewhat reluctant sympathy for the father, my motto is:

"Always treat all firearms as if they are always loaded."

You will find that this covers most firearms safety rules.