Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where to shoot a deer.

Old 10-13-2011, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Where to shoot a deer.

whitetail deer circulatory system

I learned where to shoot a deer by studying biology. Today you can use the same computer you use to get on this site, by keying in - "whitetail deer circulatory system". Study the sites. Some, or a couple, will be better to most. You can save the better ones for future reference.

It's not just a question of being an accurate shooter. It knowing where to shoot, biologically. After that experience will take in. But you won't wonder why the deer dropped on the spot with a shot from a firearm, or only didn't go hundreds of yards after an arrow shot.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure what you're driving at. Pretty common knowledge that the heart-lung area is where most folks aim. They don't call these the "vitals" for nothin'. Just because you know where the femoral artery is, does not mean you should try to hit it.

On a broadside deer, I will try to put the arrow just behind the shoulder. With a gun I shoot them in various places as dictated by the situation - neck, shoulders, even a couple Texas heartshots.
Old 10-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

I like to fire off a warning shot 1st. give em a little heads up.
Old 10-14-2011, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Are you kidding. The absolute best place to shoot a deer is....as close to the truck as possible.
Old 10-14-2011, 10:03 AM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by skb2706
Are you kidding. The absolute best place to shoot a deer is....as close to the truck as possible.

LOL! Either that or they fall on the path your ATV will be at to pick it up and then hall it back to the truck...or house. HAHAHAHAHA!!!
Old 10-14-2011, 10:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah,that works!
I like shooting the nearest tall tree so it falls on all the vitals.Just don't leave home without the chain saw.(Walk softly and carry a big stick.)
Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 AM
Fork Horn

I dropped one like that last week...she fell in the field and I backed the truck right up to her. Too easy.
Old 10-14-2011, 05:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

True.......... cept if you are in the city, its illegal to hunt there in most places! The absolute best place to shoot a deer is in the woods, close to the truck!