Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Decoys

Old 10-11-2011, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Default Deer Decoys

Im thinking about using a buck or a doe decoy this year. I dont have a good field edge to place it but I was wondering if its a bad idea to put it in the woods 30 yards or so around my stand? I know it wont be seen like if it was in a field, but is this just a waste of 150 bucks?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:11 PM
Super Moderator

In my opinion, yes. I've not heard of many people having much luck with decoys.
-Jake
Old 10-12-2011, 04:50 PM
Spike

Had a young buck all bugged up, with a decoy, on the last day of muzzle season last year.
He couldn't figure it out.
I was trying not to laugh out loud watching him.
Old 10-12-2011, 05:04 PM
Spike

I was going to post a similar comment tonight as well. I have a buck deer target that I use to practice shooting with my bow. It's still in pretty good shape and I'm thinking about using it as a decoy. Has anyone used these target deer as decoys in the past? Any success?
Old 10-13-2011, 02:31 AM
Spike

I also horsed around with the Montana decoy sillouettes, and would use 'em again.
2 years ago in the first week of November, was set up in a ground blind on the edge of a standing corn field, where a good trail came into it.
This time I was caught off guard, as a little 6 pt. had snuck in the back door, while I was focused on the runway coming into the corn.
He was perplexed as to what he was looking at, and too far(at least for me) for an ethical bow shot.
I believe the key to the use of these tools, is to position them where they can be seen from a distance.
Old 10-13-2011, 10:48 PM
Fork Horn

I tested a Miss November, by Tinks, this summer/fall and the deer did come in and investigate it. They were close enough for a shot. I am going to use it in the rut because I can attach a scent wick to it and I think that it will do ok. One other thing was that one night I left it out and it was attacked by some large preditor. It was deflated and there were very large bite marks in the vinyl. Go figure, maybe I will use it in bear season.LOL.
Old 10-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Spike

I used a decoy doe a couple of times and I'm not going to swear by it,but I did take a nice 8 pointer while using on in conjunction with Tinks 69 and a can call. He came in fast and spotted the decoy then slowly walked towards the decoy at 45 yards away. He went no further than 15 yards.
Old 10-16-2011, 12:56 PM
Fork Horn

I used my 3D deer target as a decoy in the woods last season. Didn't want to spend the money on an actual decoy so I figured what the heck. I took the antlers off of it to make it a doe. Had terrific luck. Cold morning and the chasing phase of the rut was definitely in. I had a spike come right up to her and 20 seconds later a 6 point which i took. As I was waiting 15min to make the recovery, a beauty 8 came in very cautious towards her but came in none the same. He got within 10 yards of her and walked off cautiously. This is also in an area with a very high doe to buck ratio.
It was the only time I used a decoy but it was in the woods, not a field and was actually a target. I set it up about 18 yards away from me, quartering away. Good Luck!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Spike

I use my cheap-o buck target as a decoy and so far it has worked great especialy on younger bucks. They come in hair standing up and get pretty close to it. I wouldn't place the decoy close to your maxium range. I did that my first time and the buck stood in one place twenty yards from it which would have been great buck the decoy was about 30 yards from me. That was a mistake. Also plan for the buck to come at the buck decoy head on so arrange accordingly. Scent control is a must because they will be sniffing a lot when it doesn't move
Old 10-16-2011, 05:11 PM
Spike

Last year I used my friends scar face deer decoy. It worked great many times. First I put it in a field facing me in a oak tree and I rattled and grunted a few times. A 7 pt came for a face off. Then I tried it as a doe with the antlers taken off in a clear cut brushy area with doe in heat near her on cotton balls. Rattled and grunted and a big 9pt came looking. He did not see her untill I gave a few doe bleats off the bleat in heat can. The 9pt is on my wall. Then tried it one more time as a doe. Set her up in some pines were you can see along way. Rattled grunted, bleated and 4 does came to her as if they were all sisters on a family gathering. I gave the decoy back to friend and told him how great it was using it. I think when you call for deer they come to see, and if you have a decoy it completes the calling process. I would sit with a decoy every time if i could, it is a plus.