Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Explain again why I NEED cover scent >

Explain again why I NEED cover scent

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Explain again why I NEED cover scent

Old 10-09-2011, 07:02 PM
Fork Horn

My uncle uses right guard as a cover scent.
Old 10-10-2011, 05:38 AM
Fork Horn

i play the wind as best as possible but you cant always be positive where the deer is going to come from. But i wash my clothes in regular detergent and use regular fabric softners, but i do spray all my clothes down with scent away earth blend, just a habit. But as far as boots i wear lacrosse knee highs and i spray either fox pee or doe pee on the bottom and havent been busted yet, if anything the deer follow my steps to the tree stand and then walk away. saturday i had a button head and a big doe walk right to my tree, then stand around for a few min. then walked away and never knew i was there and didnt even look up and around. i took a pic with my cell phone of the deer right under my stand i will post
Old 10-10-2011, 05:45 AM
Fork Horn

here is the pic, i was about 25ft up and you can see the deer was standing and smelling my foot tracks where i put my treestand on the tree, he finally walked back towards the big doe and they both eased off and never knew i was there. this has happened many times but this is the only pic. i have gotten of this
Attached Thumbnails Explain again why I NEED cover scent-straightdown.jpg  
Old 10-10-2011, 06:14 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know so much about cover scent (fox pee, earth wafers, pine needles, etc), but I have noticed that I see a lot more deer and closer when I spray with scent-proof spray. Nothing works 100% of the time, and there are other times when deer just seem plain suicidal. Like most know, wind direction is the biggest factor.

Last edited by Uncle Nicky; 10-10-2011 at 06:26 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Typical Buck

I get far fewer days deer hunting than I would like, and it takes me over 1.5 hours to get from my front door to my closest tree stand. So if I am improving my odds by only 5%, it is still worth it to me.

Its like the saying "I'd rather have it and not need it than need it and not have it." I'd rather take the precautions knowing it might be pointless than not do so and risk getting busted by the biggest deer I see all season. At least when I get winded I know there is nothing else I could have done.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:42 PM
Spike

Cover scents are a waste. Read up on deer and canines, they can process 7 different scents at once. Try to shower and wash your clothes in scent free detergent and hunt the wind.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

I believe in reducing the odds of getting busted, and for me that means showering before going out (if I can) and keeping my clothes in a bag with pine cones and leaves. This doesn't cost me anything other than a little time, so I am afield earlier than most hunters in our camp.

With that said, wind direction and how that scent is carried and flowing through the trees or up/down ridges and how you position yourself in relation to the prevailing winds will lead to more deer being seen and higher kill rates, all other things being equal.

Last edited by *twodogs*; 10-11-2011 at 07:01 AM.